I don't need one but ....

I don't want or need one but what with all the Win 8 and getting ready for Xmas advertising, I'm developing a bad case of hots for a tablet.

So, for a tablet - or similar, to cover all bases - that won't get used much and that I can ill afford, which is probably the best machine to (not) buy?

By not owning one, I'm very much aware that I am getting left behind by technology so I suppose I ought to buy one. Do I need a tablet, a book, a what? Not a phone. I have an iPod Touch - do I need more? Aha! something that will work on Sky Cloud - which is BT Cloud, I think?

No need to do my usual bigger, faster thing with computers - enough will suffice (till I see its big brother, anyway).

I have no idea what I'd use it for. Suggestions, please?

I have my eye on a kindle fire HD, but the more I look at it the less I see me using it. I've got my gaming desktop, an 11inch hp laptop which also handles games, my kindle and a one x. I just don't see it getting much use really.

It's a bit trickier than that as you need to know what you might use it for most. A tablet is fine if you're doing a bit of web browsing or maybe playing a game, but if you want to post on the forum or type much then you definitely need a keyboard. Also a tablet on its own with no support can get quite tiring holding it, which is another thing to consider.

I buy Apple stuff as it all works together and I rarely have any problems with any of it. Having said that some friends of mine have got the Asus prime and think its the best thing since sliced bread. You can use it as a tablet or attach the keyboard which extends the battery life too. It should also satisfy your Win 8 urge as well!

I sold my laptop last year to buy an advent vega and i love it its great for when i don't feel like turning the pc or when i turn the pc of at night web browsing is a dream handles app's games music and films no probs what so ever and is great for streaming on as well but not only that its great for keeping me entertained when im stuck at the hospital for long periods of time,saying that i am feeling that an upgrade might be on the cards with the new galaxy tab2..

I'd suggest popping along to your local pcworld or currys and have a tinker around with a few of the tablets on display to see if its something you really must have..

Re: RE: I don't need one but ....

Wanderlust167 said:
A tablet is fine if you're doing a bit of web browsing or maybe playing a game, but if you want to post on the forum or type much then you definitely need a keyboard.

This is certainly true of the iPad, but you can install better on-screen keyboards on Android stuff - notably, Swype. I have a Transformer (Asus 10") and I almost never actually use the keyboard. All my posts here, and elsewhere, are made either on it or on my phone.

The tablet has made my computer at home almost completely redundant.

My vote goes to the dangleberry PlayBook 64mb version, still on sale at pc world for for around 400 quid less than retail. Has built in wireless and bluetooth and can be connected do via bluetooth to use your ipads gprs when not near wifi. Keyboards and docking stations are all available for it although the touchscreen keyboard is pretty good. Graphics and video playback is superb, and with a couple of extra week bits of software installed I can use other apps from other manufacturers. Only problem I have with it is the fact I can't plug in a memory stick etc, but there is a workaround for that, that I am looking into. Battery life is good as well and it is easy to set up your email and sync contacts etc.

Daz

Well, between you you recommended Nos 1 through 4 of the Best Tablets for 2012, according to techradar.com (found them whilst Googling Nexus).

£200 for a Nexus 7 32GB looks very tempting. The Asus appeal to my bigger-better-syndrome but the prices put me off - for a tablet I will hardly use, he says before owning one.

I have a steam-driven desktop that I use to drive myself silly and a netbook for travelling, both Win XP and the machine I'm using now and every day - a 17" Win 7 laptop. Browsing, email, TSR, streaming.

I want a tablet to catch up on apps and have mobile computing - to do the same as I do on this one. Off to look deeper into the Nexus 7 and take a trip to John Lewis in the morning (it's in a warm shopping mall, quiet early Sundays while teenagers are still in bed).

Sheesh! it's the new religion! Sunday shopping! What happened to the recession? You can tell I don't go into shopping malls a whole bunch!

John Lewis didn't have a Nexus but demonstrated a very tempting Samsung at entirely too much money - so I went into Currys Digital and was soon hooked on an Asus Transformer Pad 10"with Docking Station, also at entirely too much money but I can foresee myself succumbing to this one.

Any opinions on this machine, guys?

Something that you might want to consider is the pads ability to take photos! I had very thought of this until this week at an exhibit of the origins draft of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation that I took my daughter to see. The couple in front of us were using their iPad to take photos with. The photo to be taken was shown full screen and it looked like an interesting idea.
You might want to look into this.

I have a first-generation transformer pad. I like the Swype on-screen keyboard so much that I rarely use the dock, except as a stand for watching media on it.

I love it. All the people I know who have them love theirs, too. I will probably buy another updated version in a couple of years.

If you buy a transformer you won't regret it.
Personally I would save some money and go nexus7. I would've said kindle fireHD a week ago but the new 32gig nexus at £199 means I would lean more towards this.

That Swype is brilliant - I was also hand writing text input. Very clever!

The Transformer has a high res camera built in - I couldn't see how to attach a telephoto lens though.

I've gone into resistance mode now - tablets are clearly a dumb-down from PCs. I think this is due to the price. Tomorrow I'll wake up to a new day and the fun of a tablet - and find out how much they cost in the States, where a dear friend just happens to be currently.

Shyte! I wish I hadn't done that! 20% cheaper Amazon.com:Currys UK but an American model. I recall the same conversation here about US iPads and all you need is a new power cord - but .........

Back
Top Bottom