I don't need one but ....

Hm! back to Mifi - seems to be more to it than meets the eye! I thought I'd found what I wanted in a TP-Link 3G wireless router but then discovered it needs a Windows computer and cannot discover if I can work it - set it up - from an Android tablet. The 3 Mifi modem is bloody expensive for occasional use and Govind refuses to understand my question - can I simply power it up and bingo! have 3G wireless broadband - or do I need a computer to set it up?

Please help me find a 3G wireless router for use with my Android tablet and that does not need a Windows computer to make it work.

You don't need windows for a mifi, just switch it on and connect. You can buy the 3 ones unlocked quite cheap on eBay which will accept any sim.

You don't need windows for a mifi, just switch it on and connect. You can buy the 3 ones unlocked quite cheap on eBay which will accept any sim.

Boab is correct, you don't need a computer to set up a mifi, you can set them up with any device with a browser, a smartphone or tablet will do. I have an O2 one which I have put my work sim card in so have free unlimited 3G from any device with WiFi.

Boab said:
..... just switch it on and connect.

Exactly what I want to hear!

Lose the beard said:
....... you can set them up with any device with a browser,....

This makes sense - my dongle opens a browser window and I connect from there.

So why are the router makers saying that Windows is required? No matter, as I don't, it's a moot point.

Thanks, guys! My world has tipped back onto it's correct axis!

Bechet45 said:
So why are the router makers saying that Windows is required? No matter, as I don't, it's a moot point.

Because they all love to heap tons of crapware on to your PC to set up the router when they could just point you at the browser...

As mentioned - unlocked Mifi are out there - but also keep your eye out - often there are insanely good (short-lived) offers on them (I bought my current one for £50 with 12GB/12 months of data). Unlocking the Huawei E5830/E585/E586 is simple and achievable for free..

i'm an ipad man myself. I use an android phone, but when it came to tablets, nothing offered the slick experience that the ipad does.

Android still isnt there for tablet experience, the on screen keyboards often defy logic and it gets a bit fiddly. The windows ones rarely work out all that well, as they dont have nice touch interfaces.

I actually just sold my full macbook pro, because i use the ipad pretty much all the time, for web surfing, using this forum, videos, facebook, email etc etc. Its only when i need to work on my photography that a need for a larger machine arises. But i'll likely get a desktop for that.

Hah! Today's the day, indeed! HAh! I hate shopping in shops!

Did my usual series of cashback clients and ordered an Asus Transformer from Currys up the road from me. Click, click, click - had lunch, pottered and chatted till I thought that must be enough time - and off I went to collect it. Silly me!

A half asleep young man told me they don't sell them, then that they aren't being released till 14th, sought help from a few colleagues who brushed him off and finally a woman who knew what she was talking about. Seems my 'click and collect' had changed un-noticed to a 'pay and collect' and the machine will be available to me 'by 14th November' - which could mean tomorrow, I suppose.

I'm well old enough to know that a simple purchase is never straight-forward in England and yet I continue to expect it to be so! I hate shopping in shops!

Fuckuckuckuckcuckuck!!!

All the accessories I bought on line and they will be with me the day after tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom