How To Make and Use Your Own Shave Oil.

Thank you Martin - I will give this a go.

I prefer oils to soap, of if I do use a soap its on top of the oil. Typically they are expensive for the volume you buy in the shop. Some feel almost like mechanical engine oil ( KoS plain oil falls into this category to my mind). So far my favorite is Somersets, but at £10 for 35ml its expensive to say the least.

Thanks Prof B. I footered around for yonks before finally trying Trumpers Skin food which really improved my daily shaves. Couldn't agree more with the "one size fits all" commercial approach which pays no heed to individual skin types.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Good, clear and informative post. I love mixing potions so this is one which I will try for sure. I couldn't agree more re. the price of commercial oils (Trumpers, etc.).

Many thanks Martin

Thanks Martin

A very useful post. It's one that I'll be trying for sure. I suffer from dry skin, so it's good to see a suggestion tailored to my needs.

The only question is - where do I get the ingredients from without spending a fortune?

I have two options - a health food shop in town or Holland & Barrett. Both stock these items at not too unreasonable prices.
Given the volume Im likely to produce from the quantities I can buy - I shoul dbe OK for shaving oil for a few years :lol:
Debating adding a drop of patouli for that "student" smell I used to have in the 80's

You should be able to buy everything oyu need for under £20. That may sound a lot, but you will be able to produce 100 ml of a first class shave oilvfor that.

Health food shops,

Holland & Barrat and the like.

Or try ebay, you would probably get the whole lot cheaper on the bay.

Parwin said:
Great post Martin.

Must give this a try. I had'nt thought of using an oil before applying soap. It does make sense
though.

Well, until the oil on your wet face interacts the soap to lower the surface tension and the majority of the bubbles in your lather collapse :lol: then you have your razor and sink to clean of the oily residue as well :roll:

I guess that puts me in the oil-sceptic camp :lol:

Hi Holmes,

Yes, that's a good quality base or carrier almond oil.

The ratio of essential oils is set here to a maximum of one drop of essential oil to one mil of carrier oil. Any more essential oils than that and they won't disperse properly in the carrier fluid. Therefore, if you wish to add more essential oils you must either:-

subtract the same amount of drops from the recommended essential oils in the recipe, or
increase by the same amount of mils the base oil first.

Does that make sense?

If it doesn't come back to me, because it's important you get this right. Overloading the base with essential oils can be dangerous and can burn your skin.

I just want to make this absolutely clear to everyone.

Each recipe looks like this 30 ml carrier oil & 30 drops of essential oil.

If you wanted to add to this say 5 drops of myrrh or any other essential oil you must adjust accordingly the base recipe.

So you can go either...30 ml of carrier oil +25 drops of the stated recipe (reducing one oil by 5 drops to accomodate the new oil) + 5 drops of your preference, so you still end up with the ratio of one drop of essential oil per one mil of carrier.

or you can increase the base to begin with, so you now have..

35 ml of carrier oil + 30 drops from the recipe plus your own 5 drops of choice.

Is that clear now?

WHICH EVER WAY YOU DO IT YOU MUST NOT EXCEED ONE DROP OF ESSENTIAL OIL TO ONE MIL OF YOUR CARRIER OIL AS A RATIO.

Back
Top Bottom