How to create more 'bloom' in a cheap brush...

If you really, really, want me to I'll download the picture to my laptop and draw little circles around the split ends that I can see, but it would be easier if you just accepted that they're there.

This is not a bad thing in a boar though, you want the ends to split as that gives the brush soft tips while retaining the backbone lower down the hair shaft where it hasn't split. This happens naturally with usage, but drying speeds it up.
No,I will take your word on it!,thank for the confirmation that the hair dryer improves some brushes though.

With most fan type knots there is a tendency for the hair to splay and remain so, great face feel initially when the knot is new and tight then with prolonged use the knot spreads and deteriorates especially with the rigors of soap use and face lathering. With bulb type knots the hair is gradually supported around the circumference by shorter and shorter and therefore stouter hair which'll give a like for like firmer knot and in turn be better at keeping it's shape over the long term.

I did not know that, thank you. My preferred brush is a synthetic and they don't change over time, so this not something I'd considered. I've been kicking the idea of a Shavemac around after Nishy recommended one and had been thinking fan, sounds like with badger bulb is the way to go.

Even though some think they are,I disagree.
Can you imagine,in the days of yore,that some boffin in a lab,spent his life long work,pondering over the benefits of 500 hairs in a brush rather than 520 hairs in a brush?,I don't think so....

Yeah I was being a bit facetious. I've got 2 Vonel Boar brushes costing around £5 each. They're great.

omega 10077 or the vulfix mixed, both are under a £10 and will bloom naturally after a few uses.

With regards to bulb and fan, one thing has to be remembered were dealing with Shavemac's 2 band silvertip. This is the best badger hair I have ever had the pleasure to use and own. Infact I now own three and waiting on my fourth. The hair is so soft with very good backbone, in other words the fan will be soft and the bulb will be soft to feel on the face. The bulb feels more plush having less surface area at impact, whereas the fan feels more like the plisson (cloud like) with backbone and with a more natural bristle feel (more heat and water retention). I cannot say if I prefer either with regards to this brand, I alternate and love using both. No sharp point on the bulb but obviously more accurate in lather placement, being top quality the fan doesn't just make a mess on your face either. What stands out is the balance of backbone to softness of tips. No scratch, scratch or prickliness. Bernd has hit the ball out of the park with this one. Again with other brands the knot keeps its shape better as a bulb but again IMO Shavemac knots are superbly neat after 20 or so uses both my bulb and fan haven't distorted.

Badger hair has so much more IMO than synthetics, such as greater water and heat retention, also with synthetics you can get a cloud feel if the bristles are thin (think Plisson) or more backbone feel with thicker bristles (think Omega S). However,trying to get the required backbone and softness without compromising face feel (having already lesser heat and water retention) is difficult with synthetics IMO. You could argue that increasing the density of the thinner bristles will correct the above (tried Sterling's and IMO this is not the case) but it just alter flow through in a not so positive way. Badger all the way for moi

Last edited:
Obviously, you don't think they are good enough.
Yes,I do think they are good for 'cheap' brushes...but like everything else,if it can be improved for free....I will improve it!.
To me,that is like saying a Murkur 34 CHD,is a rubbish razor...But if I can improve it (for my OWN PERSONAL USE) with a shim or two,am I admitting the razor as it is,is rubbish?,NO!,it obviously it is not!.The 34C HD is a good razor in its own right,but CAN be improved (for me)by shimming!....For free.

Last edited:
omega 10077 or the vulfix mixed, both are under a £10 and will bloom naturally after a few uses.

With regards to bulb and fan, one thing has to be remembered were dealing with Shavemac's 2 band silvertip. This is the best badger hair I have ever had the pleasure to use and own. Infact I now own three and waiting on my fourth. The hair is so soft with very good backbone, in other words the fan will be soft and the bulb will be soft to feel on the face. The bulb feels more plush having less surface area at impact, whereas the fan feels more like the plisson (cloud like) with backbone and with a more natural bristle feel (more heat and water retention). I cannot say if I prefer either with regards to this brand, I alternate and love using both. No sharp point on the bulb but obviously more accurate in lather placement, being top quality the fan doesn't just make a mess on your face either. What stands out is the balance of backbone to softness of tips. No scratch, scratch or prickliness. Bernd has hit the ball out of the park with this one. Again with other brands the knot keeps its shape better as a bulb but again IMO Shavemac knots are superbly neat after 20 or so uses both my bulb and fan haven't distorted.

Badger hair has so much more IMO than synthetics, such as greater water and heat retention, also with synthetics you can get a cloud feel if the bristles are thin (think Plisson) or more backbone feel with thicker bristles (think Omega S). However,trying to get the required backbone and softness without compromising face feel (having already lesser heat and water retention) is difficult with synthetics IMO. You could argue that increasing the density of the thinner bristles will correct the above (tried Sterling's and IMO this is not the case) but it just alter flow through in a not so positive way. Badger all the way for moi

Thanks for that Nishy,great reply!,I will certainly grab hold of some of your recommendation's when funds allow!.

Back
Top Bottom