How many soaps and creams do you have in rotation?

I have 2 soaps (P&B Sanskrit and a cheap one from a 'kit') and two shaving cream samples to review.
I will likely have more in the coming weeks/months/years. I'm curious as to smells rather than all else so that would be the only reason I'd end up purchasing more.
Same goes for EDC/EDT etc. they are personal choice rather than for function - I don't need them but having particular ones to suit particular moods/seasons/alignment of planets means I don't get bored.

Interesting this. I have about 50 different soaps and I group them together for a rotation. I am in the middle of a 'Flower' rotation which means that I am using my Rose, Lavender, Violet and Sea Buckthorn soaps and creams. I don't actually rotate though I just work through them all. I have just come off a Citrus 'rotation'. Next up is Nuts (coconut, almond and pine nut) then tobacco (tabac, Zi Pepp, Razorock Tobacco 1 and 2, Stirling Vanilla and Tobacco, PAA Cavendish, Lebelle etc) then it'll be the 'Soapy McSoapface' rotation with MWF, De Guilded Hand, Palmolive, BEA, LEA, La Toja, Boots, Arko, Derby. I'm open to suggestions after that.....(please do). I record all of my 'rotations' on a spreadsheet with pivot tables to monitor how many times I have used the soaps, blades, brushes and razors that I have. My OCD tendencies are well catered for using this!

If anyone wants a blank version of it let me know and I'll email it to you!

3 creams:
AdP
SMN
ABC

3 soaps:
Pannacrema Nuavia blu, verde and rossa.

I have tried 50+ products, but none that I have tried, is performing better for me than the above mentioned.

Interesting, made me check, even though some of them are gifts and left unopened:

-Original Figaro P.160 tipo duro (most used-Number One)
-Vitos Green soft soap (now hard)
-Valobra soap (not opened)
-La Saponeria Artigiana (Vegetable Almond Soap)
-Dove Shaving Cream (bought when I had to travel and forgot to pack...)
-Acqua di Parma shaving cream (gift, never opened but used before a sample)
-Proraso Large Barber size Shaving cream
-Figaro red tub shaving cream (4 tubs unopened)
-Truefitt and Hill No 10 Shaving Cream (the wife like the scent as it remind her of an hotel we stayed in Florence)
-The Body Shop For Men Maca Root Shave Cream (never opened- a gift- used the After Shave cream received at the same time)

1. 2 now discontinued Wickhams super smooth.
2. Wickhams 1912.
3. NSS
4. OSP.
5. P & B.
6. Mama Bear.
These 6 because of how kind they are to my skin. Also one Floris No 89 for personal sentiment.

JohnnyO. o/

Last edited:
7 atm with 3 more as Christmas presents. I have some samples on the go from @SoapAlchemist which will make full size appearance.

I've come to the realisation that a regular change of soap is more interesting than changing a razor. I'm pretty much sold on the R41 as my weapon of choice and rarely move away from it. So a different scent in the morning just breaks up the routine. Without that then shaving will fall back into the mundane requirement of life.

I use a different soap everday but not in strict rotation and there is only 1 (Prorazo Sandlewood) that doesn't make an appearance at some point.

Hi Mark

Fully agree about the R41, is also my go to weapon. My only serious alternative is an Edwin Jagger ( bought for me so dont know which sort). Probably a good razor but i havent road tested it enough.

In respect of creams in rotation about 4 just added P&B Sanskrit ( very interesting) and just bought some Salter mint.

I tend to do seasonal creams and soaps, like my aftershave.

Hi Mark

Fully agree about the R41, is also my go to weapon. My only serious alternative is an Edwin Jagger ( bought for me so dont know which sort). Probably a good razor but i havent road tested it enough.

In respect of creams in rotation about 4 just added P&B Sanskrit ( very interesting) and just bought some Salter mint.

I tend to do seasonal creams and soaps, like my aftershave.
Sanskrit is a great soap, love that myself. Could I suggest you try Nannys Silly Soap Warm Spice if you haven't already? Samples are available

Sanskrit is a great soap, love that myself. Could I suggest you try Nannys Silly Soap Warm Spice if you haven't already? Samples are available

Thanks Mark

I found it online by chance (honest). The smell is very different to anything else i have. Silly soap ..... may well try that (if i had any space to store it).

Regards

Mark

Stick to what you really love and resist the urge to splash out on the latest artisan. Found this out over a year ago. You then appreciate what you have

Sound advice. I've also fallen for that "latest artisan" (nicely put!) many times.

I'm now sticking to the cheap soaps/creams that often get overlooked, yet still provide a very good shave. One soap and one cream for me right now.

Called it a day now with five: P&B Albion, Nannys Signature Lavender, Wickham's Citrus Musk, OSP Fougere and Prorasso Green (first shave soap I tried so have a soft spot for it plus great if you have a cold!). I use TFS Red occasionally: great and good value soap but have to be in the mood for the marzipan smell.

I agree that you don't have to spend a fortune on soaps. I find the Artisan soaps have nicer and more complex fragrances and the well established ones have great performance. However the Prorasso and TFS cost €1.50 each and are no disgrace at all. I have not tried any shaving sticks yet.

Back
Top Bottom