High Street Gear

Really can't find much on the high street any more. Boots never seems to have basics like DE blades or WS soap. Tesco did have soap, but not anymore.

I know of one local chemist selling Palmolive cream, but that's it.

Does anyone know of any high street shops which actually still stock DE blades and shaving soap/cream?

Bodycare sell Erasmic soap in a bowl for a couple of quid. They also stock the (pathetic) reformulated Ingram Cream at £1.99.
Independent chemist shops sometimes stock Palmolive Cream and Tabac sticks.
Sainsbury's & Asda sell DE blades (or they did until very recently)
High Street shops in general, cater for the 5 blade disposal generation these days - canned gel etc. . . ."The best a man can get" . . . .(good luck to 99% > of the population with that.)
Imagine how long Palmolive Cream sits on the shelf at Sainsbury's . . . . .

This chemist shop near to me is quite good.
Kent brushes and some shave creams & soaps

Last edited:
Sainsbury sells Palmolive cream, Wilkie brushes, Wilkie blades ...
Sally's Pinaud VIBR
Same at our local Sainsbury's this morning. For all the Palmolive fans - it's only £2 a tube.

I do miss The Traditional Shave Co in Leeds. I started going over 10 years ago when Byron the barber had his chair at the back of the shop. Used to love visiting to buy stuff & then having a traditional barber shave with hot towels.

I’ve been using Erasmic cream from Bodycare for a few years since I was unable to get my go to Ingram lather shave. Last week I went in and they seem to have stopped stocking it. In its place was Ingram so I bought some (big mistake). Anyway I had some old Ingram left that I was keeping for prosperity so stating using that and it was good.

Today I had to open the new tube of Ingram. Well I used the same amount as usual and nothing, not a hint of lather. So I added more, and more, and more. It seems impossible to get a lather at all from this new stuff.

Yes it's a shame. A few people on here were really looking forward to its reintroduction and were sadly disappointed. I don't get it, why go to all the trouble of reviving a brand and getting it certified without testing it to see if it actually works? Never mind whether it's remotely similar to the name on the pack! Lots of people might buy it once and feel cheated, hardly a recipe for success. If you're going to release something new, call it something new. Had they called it 3 Pears Brushless Shave Cream they would still only sell a handful but not generate as much negative publicity. I suspect the accountants joined the formulation team that day.

Same at our local Sainsbury's this morning. For all the Palmolive fans - it's only £2 a tube.

I do miss The Traditional Shave Co in Leeds. I started going over 10 years ago when Byron the barber had his chair at the back of the shop. Used to love visiting to buy stuff & then having a traditional barber shave with hot towels.

And the best looking tattooed female shop assistant you could ever set eyes on. And she knew her stuff.

As you say, missed

I managed to lather the new Ingram by mixing it with Lidl unscented tallow hand soap. It's fine like that but it was dully sent to the back of the draw with all the other useless curiosities from early year's (Erasmic stick 2015 formulation, some Edwin J Sandalwood and some horrible Polish cream that smelled like burnt plastic).

Hiya,

Roger Ebert was known to frequent some shops which are now gone.

Maybe some of you will enjoy the story.

I’ve been using Erasmic cream from Bodycare for a few years since I was unable to get my go to Ingram lather shave. Last week I went in and they seem to have stopped stocking it. In its place was Ingram so I bought some (big mistake). Anyway I had some old Ingram left that I was keeping for prosperity so stating using that and it was good.

Today I had to open the new tube of Ingram. Well I used the same amount as usual and nothing, not a hint of lather. So I added more, and more, and more. It seems impossible to get a lather at all from this new stuff.
It's utter rubbish, a complete waste of money and time, I can't believe they sent it to market knowing that it was useless and would not lather up!
As good as a chocolate frying pan!

Paul.

Hiya,

Roger Ebert was known to frequent some shops which are now gone.

Maybe some of you will enjoy the story.

Hi Martin

I read Roger's story in full. It was very interesting indeed.
I had never heard of him before (please excuse)

Thank you for sharing.

It's utter rubbish, a complete waste of money and time, I can't believe they sent it to market knowing that it was useless and would not lather up!
As good as a chocolate frying pan!

Paul.
At least a chocolate frying pan would be a jolly good accompaniment to a pot of tea (as long as it wasn’t made of Hershey’s). Whereas the new Ingram may only accompany the bin. <must remain calm> <must remain calm> <must remain calm>

MATRON! Yellow pills in the IV, VR, TV or whatever you call it, asap. Oh, sod it just knock me out with the rolling pin…<whack>

Service Message: Gairdner will not be available until later today…hopefully

At least a chocolate frying pan would be a jolly good accompaniment to a pot of tea (as long as it wasn’t made of Hershey’s). Whereas the new Ingram may only accompany the bin. <must remain calm> <must remain calm> <must remain calm>

MATRON! Yellow pills in the IV, VR, TV or whatever you call it, asap. Oh, sod it just knock me out with the rolling pin…<whack>

Service Message: Gairdner will not be available until later today…hopefully
Weirdly enough, I’d seen these comments and then saw some Ingrams on sale in a shop this afternoon for £1.99. Normally, I’d take a punt at that price, so thanks for saving me a couple of quid!

If you have a posh Boots nearby I've seen some great premium stuff in there recently. Anthony shave cream and balm, the Clinique and Clarins shaving stuff etc

Sadly most Boots won't have these lines. But if you have access to a bigger branch in a city or whatever, I would definitely check it out!!!

Hi Martin

I read Roger's story in full. It was very interesting indeed.
I had never heard of him before (please excuse)

Thank you for sharing.
Hiya doin Paul,

Mr Ebert (long E) was a famous tv show movie critic, paired with Gene Siskal. Probably about the earliest series of that topic and originating from Chicago I believe. Plenty of their reviews online I'm sure.

Can't remember how I knew of his affection for shaving crap but it did surprise me a bit.

Glad you found it a good read.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom