hello forum from life long cartridge shaver

The MÜHLE R89 was my first choice too - a very good and forgiving razor and ideal for moving you up the learning curve. You may graduate to finer things, but it will give you the start you need.

When you feel ready for that boar brush, don't hesitate - my favourite by a country mile is the Semogue 620.

What blades do you plan to try?

The MÜHLE R89 was my first choice too - a very good and forgiving razor and ideal for moving you up the learning curve. You may graduate to finer things, but it will give you the start you need.

When you feel ready for that boar brush, don't hesitate - my favourite by a country mile is the Semogue 620.

What blades do you plan to try?

I ordered a selection pack of Russian blades as suggested by Wayne. His suggestions have worked out pretty well so far

Good advice from Wayne. You can't try too many blades when you're starting out IMHO, and there are plenty of UK based sellers on eBay that do sample packs. Blades are a very personal thing but my recommendations would be for either the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow or Greens; Personna Red; and Astra SP. I must have gone through 20 different packs before deciding on the 5 that made it into my rotation. Happy shaving!

Well I got mu first really bad cut this morning. Right at the end of my shave on a quick tidy up I cut my lip. I thought I was doing so well to. Just a momentary lack of judgment. Real shame.

Apart from that it was a good shave using an Astra blade. Not.alot between the Astra and perssona performance wise although they do feel different whilst shaving

Well I made some good progress today. Recently I have been noticing some discomfort under my chin. When the hair started to grow back if felt very rough and felt like a lot of little spikes irritating my skin. But changing the direction of one of the passes have improved things tremendously.

So far I have tried of few different blades and soaps and although they to feel different they all seem to perform well. This may be due to the fact I have tried good stuff that was highly recommended on this forum. But really I have not found a massive difference in performance. I have been using the same razor each time. Bit I guess it just a small difference between getting the gob of shaving done and experiencing just a little extra comfort and the feeling of luxury.

Once you get your Russian blades you should notice the difference in smoothness of shave. They are noted for being smooth performers.

Russian trial pack arrived today

Sputnik
Rapira platinum ,stainless and sweedish
Ladas super stainless
Gillette rubie
Schick premium
Voskhod teflon coated

Any particularly good ones here or any real bad ones

Well I made some good progress today. Recently I have been noticing some discomfort under my chin. When the hair started to grow back if felt very rough and felt like a lot of little spikes irritating my skin. But changing the direction of one of the passes have improved things tremendously.

So far I have tried of few different blades and soaps and although they to feel different they all seem to perform well. This may be due to the fact I have tried good stuff that was highly recommended on this forum. But really I have not found a massive difference in performance. I have been using the same razor each time. Bit I guess it just a small difference between getting the gob of shaving done and experiencing just a little extra comfort and the feeling of luxury.
Apart from The change of blades what other products did you try that you felt help to improve your shave? I'm interested as I'm at the same stage as you trying different blades etc. So far personna and Astra SP have been my favourite blade

Russian trial pack arrived today

Sputnik
Rapira platinum ,stainless and sweedish
Ladas super stainless
Gillette rubie
Schick premium
Voskhod teflon coated

Any particularly good ones here or any real bad ones
I haven't tried the Schick blades but all the others are fantastic blades. I'm sure you will love them all. They are so so smooth.

Apart from The change of blades what other products did you try that you felt help to improve your shave? I'm interested as I'm at the same stage as you trying different blades etc. So far personna and Astra SP have been my favourite blade

I tried a few soaps but I have not noticed a big difference in the shave between soaps to be honest.
I have discovered witch hazel to be fantastic for your skin.
I have only one razor so far a mulhe r89
Blades make a big difference to the feel of the shave but it is more about comfort.

The biggest difference to my shaves so far have come with technique improvement. But also I have noticed that different equipment sometimes requires an technique alteration

Hi Phil, and welcome to the world of DE shaving. Many years ago (when the very first Mach III appeared in the UK) I switched to straight shaving and DE shaving as a cost saving option too. You've already had a couple of replies warning of the potential cost it can be, if you let it.

However, just the other day I used a Gillette super sharp razor ($5 on ebay), Gillette lemon and lime shaving foam ($3 from the supermarket) and a Wilkinson Sword blade ($1) I worked out that the actual cost of the shave would be about 20 cents (Australian). AND, it was a great shave!

My advice on kit:
  • Razor - Edwin Jager DE89 (high quality, mild aggression and very consistent shave, Merkur 34C is similar)
  • Blades - Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (but you will need to try a few and find the one that suits your beard)
  • Brush - Omega Boar or Vie Long horse hair (or if the budget allows, then get a Badger brush)
  • Shave Soap - Proraso Green or Red (you can't go wrong with these soaps & available as a cream or foam too)
  • Post Shave - Proraso Green or Red aftershave (or another good quality aftershave with a scent you like)
What I've laid out above, is affordable (the razor being the most expensive but is a great long term investment) and will give you an amazing shave that will leave your face feeling fantastic and fresh. However, you have dozens, hundreds if not thousands of options when it comes to razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams etc. etc. The sky really is the limit - pay's your money take your choice.

BM I was just curious and also a little suspicious as I have come across a few dubious products being sold through ebay and did not want to get burned.

I have been amazed how good the safety razor has been. I think the cartridge razors are convenient but there are defiantly not better despite all the hype

ebay is not the sole provider of dubious products. dubious product can be found everywhere if you take the time to look for stuff. the buy and sell sub forums are not bad to go for stuff, but you will still find dubious goods being peddled by dubious people. Ive gotten dud razors, dud cases, and lots of traders and buyers remorse.

Its easy to get carried away buying things on reviews, but one must understand that MOST products from a single company will simply be different package, different scent. and can one really say the 30$ "pine forest" scent will shave any better then the 12$ "soap scent" will?

I tried a Ladas blade this morning. My initial reaction was it felt a little less aggressive than the Gillette silver blue. It seemed a little slower to use and I felt I prefered the sharpness of the silver blue. But once finished and back down stairs I could not help notice the post shave feel was amazing. There was no irritation at all, it had a close and smooth feel that was amazingly comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom