hello forum from life long cartridge shaver

Up untill last week I had always used a cartridge razor and I have been happy with them. I did not think there was much of an alternative. At 44 years old there was no real need to change now. But I got fed up with the stupidly high price of blades that have been spiraling up.

After a quick look for an alternative I thought I would try a safety razor. A cheep £6 ebay butterfly razor arrived in post with some Wilkinson sword blades.

Still using aerosol shaving foam I have been impressed with the results. A much closer shave than the mach 3 I was using.

I now want to buy some quality kit and I would like to hear any advice on what to get.

Cheers phil

It seems almost everyone on this forum started to save money, me included, and then spends a fortune on way more soaps, creams and razors etc and end up with a lifetimes supply lol.

The shave of the day posts are great for ideas/ways to empty your wallet [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick thanks for the welcome. Also I think you are right about saving money. But if I end up spending my money on quality products at least I wont have the feeling I am being ripped off

That's exactly it and there's worse hobbies to have.

Here's some quality kit for you:
Body shop synthetic shaving brush £7 or thereabouts
Boots shaving soap 100g - £3.25
or Palmolive shaving stick £0.50
A choice of blades from somewhere
While not the pinnacle of luxury, these are products that work and they will get you off the foam and you'll learn the difference proper prep makes.
Don't bin the Mach 3, go back to it after, say, 6 months and see the difference your newly acquired skills make, even to a cartridge shave.
Most of all: Enjoy!

Won't bin the mach 3. I travel a lot for work and the it may prove to be more convenient for that.

I do have a question though. There are a lot of badger brushes on ebay but are they all real badger hair. If not what wording should I look for to get the genuine article

Welcome Phil, if it says badger it going to be badger, there are different grades and maybe start with " best badger " and maybe later on you can look at "silvertip badger " you don't have to spend too much money to start with, that will probably come soon enough!! :)
Enjoy. :)

Won't bin the mach 3. I travel a lot for work and the it may prove to be more convenient for that.

I do have a question though. There are a lot of badger brushes on ebay but are they all real badger hair. If not what wording should I look for to get the genuine article
Look for the ones that say 'synthetic' - cheaper, don't need soaking or breaking in. Much easier to learn with. You can get into the science of badger brushes later... Avoid boar brushes to start with...

Look for the ones that say 'synthetic' - cheaper, don't need soaking or breaking in. Much easier to learn with. You can get into the science of badger brushes later... Avoid boar brushes to start with...

Just out of interest why do you say to avoid boar to start with?

Just out of interest why do you say to avoid boar to start with?
They need breaking in for quite some time... You will be disappointed for the first, hmmmm... few dozen shaves or so. Synthetics work out of the box - get 'em wet, lather up, done. I have tried many times, but I still don't 'get' boar brushes - 1 out of 5 times they are brilliant, 4 out of 5 times they are utter rubbish. Maybe it's just me, but for a beginner I'd always recommend a synthetic brush. 6 out of 5 times they work :D:D

BM I was just curious and also a little suspicious as I have come across a few dubious products being sold through ebay and did not want to get burned.

I have been amazed how good the safety razor has been. I think the cartridge razors are convenient but there are defiantly not better despite all the hype

They need breaking in for quite some time... You will be disappointed for the first, hmmmm... few dozen shaves or so. Synthetics work out of the box - get 'em wet, lather up, done. I have tried many times, but I still don't 'get' boar brushes - 1 out of 5 times they are brilliant, 4 out of 5 times they are utter rubbish. Maybe it's just me, but for a beginner I'd always recommend a synthetic brush. 6 out of 5 times they work :D:D

Great stuff, thanks. I started with a cheap badger and had real problems with it shedding hair. So moved onto boar and haven't looked back. They definitely do get better with time. I do have a couple of synthetics found a really cheap one from chine was the best of the two certainly with softer soaps.

The variation of people's experiences with such a wide range of products is really interesting. Really does show that there is something for everyone.

BM I was just curious and also a little suspicious as I have come across a few dubious products being sold through ebay and did not want to get burned.

I have been amazed how good the safety razor has been. I think the cartridge razors are convenient but there are defiantly not better despite all the hype
If you don't trust the vendors on eBay try shopping elsewhere , there are plenty of online vendors of shaving products apart form ebay, you will find quite a few vendors in the vendors section of this fourm and you may be able to sign up for discount from some of them because you are a member here. :)

Back
Top Bottom