Hard of Hearing

Two friends are discussing their upcoming retirement. One confides to the other that he is dreading having to find things to do in the long days ahead.

“I've got that all worked out”, says his friend.

“Oh, what are you going to do?”

“I'm going to spend my time visiting my 17 brothers and 12 sisters.”

His friend is flabbergasted. “That's a hell of a large family”, he says.

“Indeed it is, my mother was a little hard of hearing, and each time they went to bed my father would ask her is she wanted to go straight to sleep or what.”

I still don't get it. I'm assuming it's a pun on 'or what' but it's still not making sense.

By the way Hunny, I'm also profoundly deaf in some ranges and 'pardon' gets to be a very wearing joke. Not trying to make you feel bad it's just something to be aware of.

UKRob said:
I still don't get it. I'm assuming it's a pun on 'or what' but it's still not making sense.

Jokes are never funny if they have to be explained - but:

The chap is explaining why his parents had 30 children. i.e. he's explaining why they had so much sex.

When they go to bed they have the choice of either going to sleep or having sex.

Some people don't like to be explicit about sex, even with their partner so the husband says 'or what?', assuming that his wife will understand 'what' is a euphemism for sex (after all, there isn't a great deal else he might mean under the circumstances, unless they are in the habit of playing a game of monopoly in bed).

The wife doesn't hear and so replies 'what' which the husband takes to mean she wants the non-sleep option.

Hence the 30 children.

See, I told you it wasn't funny if you need it explained.

I can just about believe one person didn't get it but I'm amazed that so many people claim not to have done - unless they are just winding UKRob up.

Edited to add: Or, perhaps more likely, trying to wind me up!

Vetinari said:
UKRob said:

Jokes are never funny if they have to be explained - but:

The chap is explaining why his parents had 30 children. i.e. he's explaining why they had so much sex.

When they go to bed they have the choice of either going to sleep or having sex.

Some people don't like to be explicit about sex, even with their partner so the husband says 'or what?', assuming that his wife will understand 'what' is a euphemism for sex (after all, there isn't a great deal else he might mean under the circumstances, unless they are in the habit of playing a game of monopoly in bed).

The wife doesn't hear and so replies 'what' which the husband takes to mean she wants the non-sleep option.

Hence the 30 children.

See, I told you it wasn't funny if you need it explained.

I can just about believe one person didn't get it but I'm amazed that so many people claim not to have done - unless they are just winding UKRob up.

Edited to add: Or, perhaps more likely, trying to wind me up!
I think I was over thinking it - I'm not normally that slow, I hope!!

How about this one:
René Descartes is sitting in a bar having a glass of wine. The bartender asked if he'd like another? He says 'I think not' and 'Poof' he disappears !

Back
Top Bottom