Hanging Hair Test

Does anyone agree with the school of thought that says you can hone too far up the grits where at which point it becomes worthless. That is to say, you can hone to say 12k(or more) but as soon as the blade begins to shave, it loses that incredibly sharp edge?
I used to shave right off the 10k with one razor I had.The other was better off 15k but I find 12k best for what I use now.

I Am Not Sure where a Lot of Folks Come from Regards to Honing to be Frank..Forums are Full of All Sorts of Claims..We Never Know what some Folks are Doing or Not Doing..;)

Personally I Finish on 0.5 Lapping Film after a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..That is the Equivalent Grit to a 20 K Synthetic Stone albeit Different Media..The Edges I get are Super Sharp & Smooth..I Would Suggest if a Blade is Displaying those Symptoms its Not been Worked on Properly on the 1 K Bevel Hone..:)

It Would Appear to Me that Some Folks Blame the Later Stuff for Work that Hasn't been Properly Done Earlier..:D

Billy
20k,that's super sharp. As a matter of interest, when it comes off the stone at that level- do you strop the blade afterwards?
I would see no point to be honest?

20k isn't necessarily better it's just personal choice. You would be surprised what you can get off a 12k
Agreed, hence my OP i.e how far does one go? I make furniture for a living and depending what wood I use, I hone my irons on a black arkansas, sometimes on a Shapton 8k. That gives me what I need but then I'm not running that blade over my face...:D

20k,that's super sharp. As a matter of interest, when it comes off the stone at that level- do you strop the blade afterwards?
I would see no point to be honest?
That's an Interesting One..Yeah...I Do Strop after that..I Also Go onto 0.2 Micron Red Rhodium Paste for 10 Sets before Going on to Leather..I have Yet to See an Edge Yet that Cant be Refined with a Paste..Lynn Abrams Speaks about this & I Fall into that Camp..There are So Many Tools and Methods for Different Folks..o_O

Some of the Guys that Use Natural Finishers Don't Use Pastes Cause they Want to Feel the Edge from the Natural Stone..That's Fine..The Reason Being for Some is that the Paste Media will Change the Edge to Something Else..These things are All Personal..:)

I Could Shave from 0.5 Film without Stropping & Maintain an Edge without Stropping for Sure..But that Method is Just Not for Me..This Guy here Doesn't Strop at All to maintain his SRs..:D

Billy

Last edited:
That's an Interesting One..Yeah...I Do Strop after that..I Also Go onto 0.2 Micron Red Rhodium Paste for 10 Sets before Going on to Leather..I have Yet to See an Edge Yet that Cant be Refined with a Paste..Lynn Abrams Speaks about this & I Fall into that Camp..There are So May Tools and Methods for Different Folks..o_O

Some of the Guys that Use Natural Finishers Don't Use Pastes Cause they Want to Feel the Edge from the Natural Stone..That's Fine..The Reason Being for Some is that the Paste Media will Change the Edge to Something Else..These things are All Personal..:)

I Could Shave from 0.5 Film without Stropping & Maintain an Edge without Stropping for Sure..But that Method is Just Not for Me..This Guy here Doesn't Strop at All to maintain his SRs..:D

Billy
Again just like shaving itself.Its all very personal to the individual's requirements.There are many many different ways of doing things & if it ain't broke then it don't need fixing:) Nice to chat about it though.

That's an Interesting One..Yeah...I Do Strop after that..I Also Go onto 0.2 Micron Red Rhodium Paste for 10 Sets before Going on to Leather..I have Yet to See an Edge Yet that Cant be Refined with a Paste..Lynn Abrams Speaks about this & I Fall into that Camp..There are So May Tools and Methods for Different Folks..o_O

Billy
Thanks Billy, I have watched that before some time ago. Personally, I think the pastes give a better 'polish' to the edge, which is what it's all about I suppose.

Thanks Billy, I have watched that before some time ago. Personally, I think the pastes give a better 'polish' to the edge, which is what it's all about I suppose.
I saw this some time ago.I have pastes but never use them apart from chromium oxide in the past.I like to just use welsh slate (10,12,15k) with the slurry stone or just clean water.All depends on the situation.

Finding it hard to let this HHT thing go, seems like newly washed hair performs better, the way the blade and strand is held also plays and important part, suddenly managed HHT4 bordering to HHT5, on blade coming off 1 micron film (with cushion) and 30 laps linen and 30 laps leather that also popped arm hair beautifully, Swedish steel of course :)

Last edited:
Finding it hard to let this HHT thing go, seems like newly washed hair performs better, the way the blade and strand is held also plays and important part, suddenly managed HHT4 boardering to HHT5, on blade coming off 1 micron film (with cushion) and 30 laps linen and 30 laps leather that also popped arm hair beautifully, Swedish steel of course :)
I bet your legs look nice & smooth lmfao

Back
Top Bottom