Hanging Hair Test

The Hanging Hair Test is often mentioned as a standard for judging SR sharpness. Out of curiosity for reference what would be the typical score for a Feather DE razorblade in terms of HHT from 1 to 5? Or any other DE blade?

Last edited:
Anything between HHT total failure and HHT 3 is what my hair is scoring on an Astra blade so I am ditching HHT as sharpness test for my SR preferring to predict by popping arm hair before the ultimate test: if it shaves well it is sharp enough.

Last edited:
My hair is thick and like copper wire (the Greek blood) so never achieved a hanging hair test even with a new, freshly honed straight. Arm hair test much better IMHO.

I've not done many razors & there are those on here with more experience than myself when it comes to honing but for myself once I had finished on the finishing hone I would wet my thumb nail & lightly pull the razor over it.If it tried to bite,then that's a good sign, i would then also do this with the inside of my hand testing the heel through to the toe or do it the other way around(hand first thumb nail second).After this I would just keep stropping & stopping to test using arm/leg hair.Once this comes off easily wtg & atg I would run it a few more times over the leather & do a little test shave testing the heel through to the toe wtg & atg.After that I would just run it 30 times over the leather ready for use.I've always maintained my razors with the finishing hones & have achieved excellent shaves from cheap ebay razors to practice on.Once you get the bevel cutting edge established it's just a matter of being patient until you get there.I only use my finishing hones to maintain my custom razors now though.

Last edited:
I'd give my BGD (Billy's gold dollar) a 2. It'll cut a hanging hair (head hair, mine is relatively thin to normal), but doesn't seem to bite it straight off - I believe that's almost certainly down to my stropping, which I plan on improving in the very near future! I'm only using the weight of the blade for stropping now so that shouldn't be too far off 'correct'. It shaves nicely enough though!

Would have been nice with a set standard, a sewing thread or similar meeting certain given specifications, to make HHT same same all over the shaving world, aka a true test, but until then nah! no HHT for me.

Last edited:
Would have been nice with a set standard, a sewing thread or similar meeting certain given specifications, to make HHT same same all over the shaving world aka a true test, but until then nah! no HHT for me.
If your razor removes stubble easily wtg & atg I wouldn't think about it too much.Just be happy that your razor does the job, but I understand what you are saying.

I'd give my BGD (Billy's gold dollar) a 2. It'll cut a hanging hair (head hair, mine is relatively thin to normal), but doesn't seem to bite it straight off - I believe that's almost certainly down to my stropping, which I plan on improving in the very near future! I'm only using the weight of the blade for stropping now so that shouldn't be too far off 'correct'. It shaves nicely enough though!
With a regular strop be sure to do the x pattern so the entire blade gets done & lead from the spine.Everyone is different but I always like to do 50 full runs on the leather before the shave & 30 after.I only use the canvas if I have to.My razors always stay keen.

I've given it a little while longer on the strop and it's now cutting hanging hairs with relative ease (would rate a 4 now rather than a 2 before, though my only real reference is what I've experienced - my 4 might be your 2 etc.) along the entirety of the blade. It's one of Pete's paddle strops so I'd estimate about 2.5-3" wide and about 8" long. It's certainly wide enough for the whole blade to rest upon it, so can strop straight rather than absolutely needing an x-pattern.

I'm sure my feel for it will come with time. It's better post-strop today than it was pre-strop, only using the leather for about 30 strops (of course, that's 30 each side). I tried it on a bit of knee hair and it was keen to mow those down, only used a bit of 'shaving moisturiser' (cheap) for lubrication but it had no issues whatsoever.

All in good time, my friends.

I've given it a little while longer on the strop and it's now cutting hanging hairs with relative ease (would rate a 4 now rather than a 2 before, though my only real reference is what I've experienced - my 4 might be your 2 etc.) along the entirety of the blade. It's one of Pete's paddle strops so I'd estimate about 2.5-3" wide and about 8" long. It's certainly wide enough for the whole blade to rest upon it, so can strop straight rather than absolutely needing an x-pattern.

I'm sure my feel for it will come with time. It's better post-strop today than it was pre-strop, only using the leather for about 30 strops (of course, that's 30 each side). I tried it on a bit of knee hair and it was keen to mow those down, only used a bit of 'shaving moisturiser' (cheap) for lubrication but it had no issues whatsoever.

All in good time, my friends.
Good one.You are just simply getting to know your razor pal.:)

The hanging hair test is a very 'neat' looking one. It's one of those things that most people aren't familiar with, especially with their kitchen knives etc. I'd estimate that 90% of people I know have dull kitchen knives.

Back to the razors though - I think I'd 'look after' a more expensive blade better than I would a cheaper one. I'm definitely in the mindset that my BGD is a 'practice' blade and that as I become more proficient in upkeep, as well as use, I'll invest more heavily in a razor... I bloody love the look of that Kraken in the sales thread though, and yes I know I've mentioned it before! ;)

Back
Top Bottom