Hair Trimmer Electric

I have just researched at length this and performed my own first self haircut.

The first thing I found out is that there is a difference between a hair clipper, a hair trimmer and a general (beard) trimmer being sold for general hair cutting.

A hair trimmer replaces a cut throat for detailing e.g. Around the neck / ears but can take attachments.

A hair clipper is intended for the whole head. They have the lever on the side for blending / fading.

A number of trimmers seem to be intended for beard and general clean up but are being advertised for hair cutting. I don't know if these are any good although some have loads of great reviews on Amazon.

3 big names are Oster, Wahl and Andis. All the Wahls are sold out, Oster are very expensive, so I went for Andis. The issue with barber quality clippers is that they may not have a full set of combs (mine didn't). The clippers I chose take an odd sized comb and I had to research this. Be careful - might be best to get clippers / trimmers with a full set of attachments.

My Andis clippers worked brilliantly. Chose them based on the videos I had watched. Barbers use a fading technique which includes using the lever to achieve the graduation between steps. I wanted to follow that which was why I personally chose a barber style clipper. I also went for one which has replaceable blades because I intend to carry on cutting my hair after this is all over.

Other videos showed using a trimmer to achieve a fade. They made it look easy, so I am sure a trimmer is also an option.

For me the decision was about how I wanted to cut my hair based on the videos I had seen rather than product reviews. In the end when I finally cut my hair i am glad I made the decision that way.

Good luck! It was a great feeling to have shorter hair again.

Another vote for the Remington HC366. Got them as part of a 25 piece set from Amazon and used for the first time yesterday. The kit comes with everything you would need, including a small hair trimmer.

I will say my partner did the clipping, I don't think I would do such a neat job if trying to do it myself.

David.

I use a Remington HC 4250 and it's fool-proof, well I can use it! I think they're getting hard to find in the UK but you can still get them from China. Good price as well at around £20, comes with 9 combs so you can choose the length of cut.

small.jpg
re cutting length: my memory is vague but it must have been supplied with combs because I did not wear hair short short at the time

Back
Top Bottom