Hair clippers

My hair is already getting pretty unruly, and with no prospect of getting it sorted out by my usual Turkish barber for several months I am thinking of buying electric hair clippers from some online vendor. They wouldn't need to be terribly sophisticated or built to last for years; I would be happy if they did a decent job while the current crisis lasts. So, I was wondering of anybody on TSR has a recommendation for an effective and reasonably priced clipper.

Get some corded Wahl clippers from Argos if you want cheap yet sturdy.
Under 15 quid. The only issue is that they don't come with the left and right ear combs. Which you need.
Or spend a little more for a set that has all the combs. I didn't go "Wahl Pro" myself.
Then watch some YouTube videos. Doing it all on your own does need practice unless you get radical.

I have a Remington with left and right ear combs but prefer my cordless Wahl Magic Clip with four standard combs 3-6-10-13mm and for nice fades between long and short if going for a Pompadour I use my Dovo Shavette with hair styling blade holder.

Last edited:
Wahl 100 series or 300 series clippers should be found for around £20 and last for years.
I've also had good luck with some of the Babyliss range over the years.
I've never spent more than £30 on clippers.

Get some corded Wahl clippers from Argos if you want cheap yet sturdy.
Under 15 quid. The only issue is that they don't come with the left and right ear combs. Which you need.
Or spend a little more for a set that has all the combs. I didn't go "Wahl Pro" myself.
Then watch some YouTube videos. Doing it all on your own does need practice unless you get radical.

Or number one comb all over, I think that's about 3mm, no skill required (y)

Wahl, there is no substitute. Every grade goes up by 1/8"; therefore grade 8 is 1"
I don't use the ear combs, just taper on the slant using the appropriate grade.
BUT, it does usually take me about 80 mins to do a good cut, making sure the cut is even and tapering/grading in at the edges etc
AND don't plug them in to a shaver socket, they will eventually overheat and then cut out.
Start with the higher numbered grades and go down; (never overlook the obvious).
Your Turkish Barber, may be losing a customer!
Good luck, hope all goes well!

Aside from brands, the question I want to ask is how does one go about using clippers to trim one's hair in front of the mirror and not making a huge mess? I found when I'd trim my beard infront of the mirror in the bathroom and even with using newspaper to catch the hairs under the sink the hairs would get everywhere.

Also how to trim the back of one's head?

Aside from brands, the question I want to ask is how does one go about using clippers to trim one's hair in front of the mirror and not making a huge mess? I found when I'd trim my beard infront of the mirror in the bathroom and even with using newspaper to catch the hairs under the sink the hairs would get everywhere.

Also how to trim the back of one's head?
I carry a full-length mirror from the bedroom into the bathroom and stand in the shower. Sieve in the plughole.
Back of the head... ideally with two mirrors. One can be handheld.

Been doing this for more than 30 years and only downside is the mess, sticky hair all over the place, learned to live with it, used to do the deed dressed in Speedos saving clothes from sticky hair but too old and fat for Speedos now so using a cape

edit: be careful to clean feet afterwards minimising risk of sticky hair finding their way into soles (ouch!)

edit: if you start feeling stressed when making adjustments, take a break, I often save the finishing touch to the next day

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom