Great sporting moments

FrenchBlade said:
I've never understood cricket scoring, it's complete gobeldy-gook to me.. anyone care to explain?
I did play cricket when I was in high school in Ireland, but I just did what I was told, and asked if we we're winning.. :p

FB.

Scores in civilised countries (ie. not Australia) are given as x (runs scored) for (the loss of) y (wickets (fallen)). Only in the case of a tie in runs scored might the wickets fallen be of any consequence. An example score might be 351 for 7, or 351/7

In Australia they do it arse first and where the example above would be given as 7 for 351 (or 7/351) - which can get confusing if there's a rush of early wickets and you didn't know the scoring was in Aussie format.

More involved description is here

The very opposite of a Great Sporting Moment occurred today, with the announcement of the retirement from all forms of cricket of the great Andrew Flintoff.

He was a talismanic presence on the field, capable of turning a match with one moment of brilliance - his run-out of Ricky Ponting in what was to be his final Test appearance being but one example. His duffing up of Jacques Kallis during the last South African tour was one of the finest displays of fast bowling that I have ever seen - in the end, Kallis seemed relieved when a missile of a yorker shattered his stumps.

We may need to wait a long time for another like Fred. As important as any of his other achievements was the fact that he inspired a generation of youngsters to become involved in the game.

A sad day for cricket, in my opinion.

Regards

Ian

Back
Top Bottom