Great sporting moments

About this time yesterday, England had collapsed to 47 for 5 in the cricket last Test against Pakistan. Trott survived during the mayhem. After reaching 102 for 7 he was joined by Stuart Broad who has never made a century.

Under a blue sky right now England have reached 434 with Trott on 180 and Broad on 169.

I've probably made sure it will end soon - but this has to be one of the most amazing sessions of sport for a very long time.

Would you believe it! 434-8.

Still a great session.

Wow. I was driving home from work last night just as Broad got his century, and then they made 300. I thought, "brilliant innings, but it can't last much longer". What a fantastic effort.

Fantastic effort, and will have knocked the stuffing out of what is largely an inexperienced Pakistan side. 400+ should bat Pakistan out of the game, and give England a chance to either bowl them out twice, or bat out a draw and a series win.

Of concern, though, is the form of England's middle order, who fell apart so spectacularly yesterday.

Our next Test Match will be against Australia, so it would be good to see England's other batsmen filling their boots in a second innings.

But take nothing away from Jonathan Trott and Stuart Broad. Theirs has been a truly inspirational effort.

Regards

Ian

A fantastic achievment! I am looking forward to the Ashes series...my outlaws are Aussies & they are normally very chirpy about cricket. This year I cannot hear them :lol:

Pakistan are currently 14 - 3, and looking completely shell-shocked.

England, and Stuart Broad in particular, sharing the new ball with Jimmy A, have blown away the top order, including Mohammad Yousuf. If we can get past Ali and Salman Butt, Pakistan have a very long tail, and England can make them follow on.

From 102 - 7 to this. Funny old game, isn't it?

Ricky Ponting's gone quiet.

Pakistan all out for 74, and following on. They're currently 366 behind, with the remains of today and two further days to go.

When England were 102 - 7, I wonder what the odds were of them winning by an innings and plenty?

antdad said:
How long have players been able to refer decisions to the 4th Umpire?

I think it is working brilliantly. Several decisions have been changed. And I don't mind either way. When a camera can reveal clearly that an error has been made it makes a mockery of sport to ignore it. I hope the new system is applied throughout Test cricket across the world.

antdad said:
How long have players been able to refer decisions to the 4th Umpire?

Instead of giving an opinion on it, I'll tell you the answer to your question :D

Since November 2009 (NZ v PAK, Dunedin) on an experimental basis in Test Matches.

Only one idiot (Australian official) has managed to generate massive controversy by watching the coverage of the referred incident (an edged caught behind) with the sound off.

In the interests of Thread Necrophilia, I thought that I'd resurrect this. England have just bowled Pakistan out for 89 in the second T20, with an over and a bit to spare.

Pakistan's players just look beaten men, and in view of the revelations of the last 10 days, I'm not surprised - they just don't want to be here.

It's just a concern that this isn't ideal for England as preparation for the Ashes. Still, who would have thought that England woud finish the year as Twenty20 World Champions, and look likely to set a record for straight wins in the format?

Anyway, Australia aren't the side that they were. On present form, England can win the Ashes in Australia. Bring it on.

I've never understood cricket scoring, it's complete gobeldy-gook to me.. anyone care to explain?
I did play cricket when I was in high school in Ireland, but I just did what I was told, and asked if we we're winning.. :p

FB.

Back
Top Bottom