GREAT DAY

Well the other person didn't want he job. So I now I have a job. Seems a really nice place, nice people and the clients seem nice too. Pleased with myself, tonight a celebratory drink.
Congrats Sean. My sister works at a School for teens to young adults with special needs. Lots of trying to prepare them for a life in the care(less) community. She loves the job and the sense of helping others, but she doesn't sugar coat it - there can be shit (literally) and violence.

Cheers Nishy. I've a bit of experience with children with special needs having worked one to one with some. I've a teaching assistant qualification. Obviously it's s leap to adults but A lot of my experience even from Scouting will help. Also being a male is good as there aren't enough apparently and some of the male clients can relate to another make easier.

Congratulations @Northam Saint.

I was redundant last month...

And..

I was offered a job today as well!!

Great stuff, well done, feels bloody good. I haven't worked for over 8 years after assuming the role of house husband. I've been trying to get something for well over a year. I think a combination of age, 51, and not working for a while meant a few over looked for those two reasons.

Congratulations and good luck Sean and MrK1. I have started an MA in Social Work, I finish my work next week and start my first placement in respite care for young people with learning disabilities. The other bloke on the course was made redundant from the same place I'm at and went into youth work and did a degree in it then came onto this course, he's in his early 50s too.

Well a good day, First Aid training for in the workplace. I've done loads of First Aid training with Scouts but this is my first workplace Cert.

Also done a shadowing shift and another coming up on Monday in my new job. Working with a load of nice people and the clients seem nice too. All have their own ways etc which I've no doubt I will get use too. Think I'm going to enjoy working in care.

Hats of to all of you working in the special needs field. My parents fostered in this field for 15yrs after my mum had a brain haemorrhage and became unable to go out to work. Some of the youngsters she worked with had backgrounds that broke your heart. But seeing her able to get through to them was inspirational, not every one was a win, some were too damaged for anyone to get through to. And back then(around 7yrs ago unless quite seriously affected they were literally left to their own devices once turned 18. Found a flat, given basic living and cooking kit and left to get on with it. Mum died last year after a long battle with Dementia, the old fella kept her at home and cared for her with little help from the state, I did what I could to help and to be truthfull it was a relief when she finally passed peacefully and left the old boy in decent health(others I know havn't been so lucky). The strain of caring for a partener in old age tends in my experience to take the healthy one downhill extra quick. I have bought their old house, and am in the process of renovating it with the intention of doing the same thing in it. I have 4 healthy children, 5 healthy grandchildren and am finding it harder by the year to go out doing physical labour. So my thinking is if I can do some good, whilst also earning a living, everyones a winner!

Back
Top Bottom