Good tripod

Another +1 for Manfrotto! I'm not a photographer, but I have had a birding 'scope on the 'frot for years and it has never let me down. It has been stuck in mud, dowsed in the best sleet West Yorkshire has to offer, stood in howling gales, and even a mixture of all the above one New Year's Day in definitely sub-zero conditions. Still going strong.

hunnymonster said:
Try looking for this combo: Manfrotto 190XDB and 391RC2 head - weight is 1.6kg, SWL is 5kg so should cover the camera needs at least... of course that's no use if you're a tall bastard like me and don't want to stoop unduly :)

Yes, this is a tad cheaper than my setup, however I wouldn't go with the 391RC2 head. I have a 804RC2 and it is about +10 GBP but the knobs are very comfortable opposed to the small turnscrews on the 391RC2 which is considerable difference to me, however the 391RC2 fits in a bag without the long knobs more easily.

For comparison:
391RC2:
t320_6572a3de078f85a6f2e7083de4248e0c.jpg

804RC2:
t320_4b9d81b68b1cd1533ce581560fbddd52.jpg

I have a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4

It is a Carbon Fibre, 4 section tripod and I find it really useful.

It is a bit short though so not something you would want to be using stood up for too long.

I have a 488RC2 Ball Head on mine, which I know is not to everyones taste but I quite like it. It's is quite a heavy head though.

I think I'll get something like the 804RC2 head next time though.

Try velbon or manfrotto (best IMO)....Price can range from £50-£350 I use a Sherpa 600, cost me around £100 when I brought it 3 years ago.Due to it's weight it's great in windy conditions but heavy to lug about on long walks, so a carbon tripod will be next on my list but at £200 I'm going to have to wait a while

Well new (well new to me....:dodgy:) Bogen tripod arrived today. Great size for me as at full height I can stand up and easily take photos and for £30.00 it will do me for now until I can get a newer one.......

Arrowhead said:
hunnymonster said:
I second the Manfrotto comment

and I third it. (A mate who's a lot more into the photography thing than me would say Gitzo, though). My Manfrotto has spent a lot of time on the shooting line at the archery club with a spotting scope on the top, and given sterling service.

That post got my attention what scope are you using and What type of bow do you shoot?

I shoot recurve.

manfotto all the way for me.. I use a 055 Pro tripod with a 486RC2 ball head. I prefer a ball head over a standard head as its better for quick reframes and offers far more natural placement options IMHO. I also often use it floating when shooting wildlife so that the tripod takes some of the weight of the camera and lens, but still allows me to move it around freely.

I have made the general mistake of not buying a ball head at the first time. 3way heads look reasonably but they're big and reframing takes ages, especially when making short range shots. Go ball from the beginning! ;)

Back
Top Bottom