Good tripod

Hi, so after looking at some kit I am now wanting a tripod! Now I am open to new or second hand, but at the mo the forum I am on doesn't give access to the for sale bit for 60days! So anyone selling one at the mo? or any advice on what to get? Cheers

Good ones aren't cheap, I think you are looking at 100+ for the legs then another 50 ish for a decent head. Have a look at Manfrotto. Like everything you get what you pay for but in my opinion it's false economy to go for a cheap one. I bought cheap at the start and found it to be pretty useless.

Boab said:
Good ones aren't cheap, I think you are looking at 100+ for the legs then another 50 ish for a decent head. Have a look at Manfrotto. Like everything you get what you pay for but in my opinion it's false economy to go for a cheap one. I bought cheap at the start and found it to be pretty useless.

It's true that you get what you pay for... unless it's a Redsnapper.

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RS-324___RSH-528_Head.html#a47

This may look cheap, but it's a quality support and the head isn't bad either.
Easily £50 cheaper than an equivalent Manfrotto combo. Have a search on TalkPhotography - everyone raves about Redsnapper.

hunnymonster said:
I second the Manfrotto comment

and I third it. (A mate who's a lot more into the photography thing than me would say Gitzo, though). My Manfrotto has spent a lot of time on the shooting line at the archery club with a spotting scope on the top, and given sterling service.

Manfrotto for something very good but naturally expensive (don't know exactly how prices now stand but expect to pay at least 200-300 for a good one with a nice head).

Gitzo for something even better and even more expensive (it is French, by the way). One of the main differences these two brands have is the different design on how the legs deploy. People say the Gitzo design is way better but the Manfrotto one is good enough.

I have two Manfrottos and two heads and they're all very well worth the $$$ I paid. I also have the 'table' one, very nice indeed. The mistake I made was that when I bought those the salesman asked me whether I'll be doing macro/close-ups plan view, so that I should buy the model "055", and I said "No". Now I really want sometimes to make my SOTD picture by looking at the setup from above and straight down and I cannot...

So check what your tripod can do.

go with Manfrotto.....the locking parts on the legs of mine broke at the pivot,,,very quick to send out new tripod,,,very good aftersales

Thought it might be worth adding a comment about heads. Mine is an old one, the heavy duty pan and tilt affair with a hexagonal mounting plate held in place by a bevelled cam. Rock solid, dependable ... and a bit laborious in use. Just the thing for spotting scope duties and carefully set up photography, but more "active" photographers may do better with a ball joint design.

Incidentally, not sure if this is on all the Manfrotto models, but on mine there's a thread on the bottom of the column so that the camera can be mounted underneath the tripod (upside down) for very low level work. I don't recall having used this feature, but it's definitely a cool one.

I have had several Manfrotto tripods which have rationalised down to carbon for me and aluminium for the mrs. I also have a lovely ash wood Berlebach which is heavy but really solid. I would suggest something along the lines of a Manfrotto 190 to start with as it is light enough to carry and strong enough to be worth using. If you are looking at ballheads consider the FLM range available through Speedgraphic.

N_Architect said:
Manfrotto for something very good but naturally expensive (don't know exactly how prices now stand but expect to pay at least 200-300 for a good one with a nice head).

Gitzo for something even better and even more expensive (it is French, by the way). One of the main differences these two brands have is the different design on how the legs deploy. People say the Gitzo design is way better but the Manfrotto one is good enough.

I have two Manfrottos and two heads and they're all very well worth the $$$ I paid. I also have the 'table' one, very nice indeed. The mistake I made was that when I bought those the salesman asked me whether I'll be doing macro/close-ups plan view, so that I should buy the model "055", and I said "No". Now I really want sometimes to make my SOTD picture by looking at the setup from above and straight down and I cannot...

So check what your tripod can do.

Manfrotto and Gitzo come out of the same factory. I use both in my profession. Gitzo are built to a higher standard and that is reflected in the price difference. For most people Manfrotto is all they will ever need.

London Camera Exchange have their own brand of tripods and I got my son one. Really sturdy, well built and nice and light. About £99 I paid for it. I use a manfrotto but its no fun carrying around.

A couple of years ago I picked up an Induro A413 tripod and put a Manfrotto 488 ballhead on top, this damn thing is rock solid and I swear it would probably support a motorcycle. The tripod is definitely the better of the combo. This is a rather heavy combination but I'm not kidding when I say rock solid! As soon as I can afford the upgrade, I'm going to replace the 488 ball head with an Induro PHQ Pan Head.

I've got a Manfrotto too: a basic tripod yet superb 190XPROB with an RC2 (3-way head). All I can do is recommend. I've had a cheapo Velbon and a Hama before and I can tell you the few extra pennies are worth the nerves (and the money if it breaks under your camera...).

Plus, don't forget to take the weight of your camera (incl.lens of course) into account. Every tripod states how heavy a camera can it hold, plus, don't go into a heavy duty (for heavy gear) tripod+head if you don't need it, and vice versa: you might get a good quality set yet it will brake under the too heavy equipment, etc etc...

Back
Top Bottom