Golf, why do we do it?

Why do we keep going back? In the last 3 rounds I've got piss wet through, forgotten how to putt and developed a chronic hook. Ok, the magic wedge is still singing, but if you invented a sport as addictive and vindictive as golf today, you'd be locked up!

I told a mate of mine about some of my latest crap rounds.

He asked me what clubs I was using.

I told him they were Mizuno irons, MD woods and a Wilson Staff putter.

He suggested I get them altered - he reckoned 3" off them would probably do the trick.

I asked him if this would improve my game.

No, he said ... but they would fit more easily in the wheelie bin!

Badum, tish!

I haven't played for years, and never "seriously"...But I had to give it up my pathetic attempts, it was winding me up something rotten. It must be the most fiendishly frustrating game ever invented.....If you didn't have to get that little ball down the hole it might be ok...just might mind you........I never got wet, but I did get propositioned by a great big lass...maybe thats why I gave it up......

Re: RE: Golf, why do we do it?

GOLDCREST said:
I haven't played for years, and never "seriously"...But I had to give it up my pathetic attempts, it was winding me up something rotten. It must be the most fiendishly frustrating game ever invented.....If you didn't have to get that little ball down the hole it might be ok...just might mind you........I never got wet, but I did get propositioned by a great big lass...maybe thats why I gave it up......

A proposition by a big lass would be a real bonus, after all, a hole is the goal!

If you want to understand what keeps us going, read one of George Houghton's "Golf Addict" series of books. I collected all 36 of them.

For many years I played with a character named George. I don't think he ever broke a hundred. He never missed a round, on or off the course and loved every minute he played.

I always think of him when I see this:

addict.jpg

From "Confessions of a Golf Addict" George Houghton.

My best hole was a 185 yard par 3.

Duffed the tee shot 5 yards off the tee.

Duffed the second shot 5 yards directly right, into the rough.

Thought I'd completely blown it, so walked up to the ball, no practice swing, just hit it.

Didn't even see the ball's flight but my old man and our kid did! Yep, get in.

That one, single shot is what keeps me playing.

Gave Golf up after late adolescence completely ruined any skill I might have had. Late adolescence = beer, fags & dodgy women. In precisely that order too.

Tried to go back to it (golf) years later only to find it was a good way to spoil a long walk but YMMV.

We do it because, as Joe Mclane says, you play one shot that makes you go "how the hell did I do THAT?"
And then you think if you could do that more regularly you'd be the best golfer in the world.

Unfortunately my WOAH!!! Shots are few a far between

I tried it in my teens and 20's, had lessons and played regularly with friends. I eventually realised that I was leaving the course frustrated and annoyed most of the time so knocked it on the head.

Enjoyment of golf does depend on playing to a level that satisfies. The best possible way of starting is to have a few lessons before you immediately pick up bad habits.
I taught myself in my early twenties and no amount of lessons in later years eradicated my tendency to slice - at best I had a respectable fade.
The quest to keep reducing your handicap is often a mistake if you cannot maintain the time and commitment needed. I played happily to a handicap of around 20 for a few years. To join Brokenhurst Manor Golf Club in the 70s I needed a handicap of 18. I practiced hard and quickly got it down to 16 and got in. It drifted up again over the years. Remember if you enjoy competitions - and not all golfers do, it's better to play to a handicap of 24 than struggle to play to a much lower figure.
If you are the type who constantly tries to improve and gets frustrated by your failings to the point it upsets you - try something else. Golf can be the most wonderful game you will ever play or an absolute nightmare if you don't have the right mindset.

DSCN2847.jpg

For me, I enjoy the competition against myself. Reducing your handicap and beating the course is my aim and that's why I keep going back. Contrary to popular belief it is also good exercise, I probably walk close to 15 miles a week during summer. I also find it a great social game and have met many good friends through playing. I also have views like this every time I go to play at home.

oxfordshire-golf-club-5th-hole.jpg

the-oxfordshire-8th-hole-spectacular-views.jpg

oxfordshire-golf-club-8th-hole.jpg

oxfordshire-golf-club-17th-hole.jpg

Costs me a fortune in golf balls though :D

Back
Top Bottom