Going to try Proraso

OK ... so far after Palmolive initially, been using a soap puck ...
A couple of pucks of 'Taylor of Old Bond Street - sandalwood'
and one of 'D R Harris Arlington soap'

As the latter is coming to an end bought a dual pack of Proraso Menthol & Eucalyptus soap and the same scent pre-shave cream

My shaving approach (DE) is having put brush in warm water to soap and also water on the soap .... work brush into soap to pick some up, them lather up on my face .... never gets to the big deep lather I see in some pics ... but it seems to work OK.
I am either coming from a shower, or I use a 'D R Harris Arlington' pre-shave oil

Would welcome advice on those familiar with Proraso products.

# Do I use the pre-shave cream on dry or wet skin
# Soap seems very soft compared to previous ... do I still just load brush up and lather on face ?
# Seen some comments that pre-shave cream is also a post-shave cream ... but no mention of that on the jar.

Last edited:
Hi Sargan!

Great choice - I love Proraso products, especially the Menthol range. The aftershave lotion and balm are personal favourites. To answer your questions:

# Do I use the pre-shave cream on dry or wet skin

I would personally do semi-dry, to not dilute the cream. Others may disagree, but as with all shaves, personal preference prevails! ;)

# Soap seems very soft compared to previous ... do I still just load brush up and lather on face ?

It's what's called a 'croap' - a cross between soap and cream. You're fine to lather on face if that's what works for you! I'd encourage you to try a bowl (anything will do) to see if you prefer that, but there's no pressing need.

# Seen some comments that pre-shave cream is also a post-shave cream ... but no mention of that on the jar.

I've never used that cream for post - I know it's marketed as such though. I'm sure it would be of benefit after your shave, try it and see! :)

I have ebbed and flowed with Proraso products. They are currently in favour with me. The best advice I got that improved the experience was having it pointed out that these are cheap products and they are always easy to get. This was mentioned when I complained of average lathers. It was suggested that I not spare the horses when loading up. Really go to town on it. Add heaps. Do not be shy.

Following this advice has given good lathers. And even after loading and loading and loading the croap, it still looks like I have barely touched the contents of the bowl.

I have used the pre shave as post shave. It gives a particularly fresh menthol blast this way. Oddly, I don't find it particularly moisturising, so apply it after moisturiser just for the scent.

I have the menthol croap, and tubes of the blue and red. Same advice around the creams applies. Use plenty.

I've not used the soap, only the cream out the jar.

D.R. Harris are triple milled whereas Proraso isn't. However its good quality stuff. Load it like you hate it and have a well hydrated lather- personally speaking.

I actually find the pre/post cream pretty good, especially used with MWF. As a post cream its quite drying, but otherwise good.

Good solid products. Have used the Green (menthol and eucalyptus) and Blue (Vit E and aloe Vera) shaving soaps (more a cream, semi-solid) and used the Green and White (green tea and oatmeal) pre shave creams for both pre-shave and post shave. Would recommend.

I personally don't rate the croaps as I found them drying and not especially slick. YMMV of course. The Proraso Blu cream, on the other hand, is exceptional in terms of producing an unctuous, slick lather with a great post-shave feel.

The pre-shave can be used as a post-shave balm - there was something to that effect (in Italian), on the last box I had. I didn't try it, though.

I have never had a problem with Prorasso Green. Italian barbers like it and if it is good enough for them. The pro who shaved me out there used it and I bought some dirt cheap there too. It is in every supermarket. I use the Green pre shave and soap and it always gives a good shave and a refreshing post shave feel. for under 2 Euro in Italy it rivals many of thr artisan soaps I have. You have to work a bit harder to build a lather but it is good stuff. The pre shave is great too. The green is great for winter and sinuses too: smells of vick!

Proraso doesn't have the cachet of many artisan soaps nowadays, but it has never let me down. It's a benchmark product that almost all others are measured against & with good reason as it works incredibly well. Also, they make the Omega shave
"croap" in a tub that I hold so dear to my heart. :)

My experience with Proraso is pretty good too. It might not have the more sophisticated scent that you find in some artisan soaps but performance wise there is nothing wrong with it in my book. As it's so soft I never put water on the soap before using (unlike MWF which works better for me with a bit of a pre-soak) and it loads up just fine.

As for the "big deep lather" that you see on some pics, I am not too bothered about trying to replicate that myself. The important thing for me is to get a good lather for shaving one person with, not a massive meringue like blob that could shave an army.

I've got Prorazo Red and it gets the least use of all my soaps, mainly due to the scent. I've never used the Green but I keep telling myself to buy some along with the preshave and AS. Love the feel of menthol.

Lather wise it's pretty good though, just can't hack the Red scent

Proraso green is an old favourite, it's a solid performer at a good price and it's easily available. I prefer the tub to the tube, load it like a soap and lather on the face. It's one of those products that I know is always going to give good results.

Something that has always baffled me is why what is clearly a pre-shave product gets marketed as a post-shave product in the UK. There's nothing on Pro Raso's packaging to suggest that it is suitable as an aftershave. I find it useless as a post-shave product. It sits on the skin, does not get absorbed and feels greasy. Ideal characteristics for a pre-shave but bugger all use for afterwards. I quite like Pro Raso's green cream - nice cooling effect from the menthol.

I've used the White (pooh), Green (good) and Red (probably the best, helped by inclusion of shea butter). As has been mentioned previously - load big or go home, it's cheap and easy to get hold of so no need to go sparing. If you can't lather Proraso - you might as well go home and buy an electric). I use the Red pre/post as a post. It is not overly greasy (on my skin) and the scent does linger on your hands, so best you like sandalwood. Probably best place to buy it.........Gemstone Trading*.

(*not affiliated - just a tight punter)

Something that has always baffled me is why what is clearly a pre-shave product gets marketed as a post-shave product in the UK. There's nothing on Pro Raso's packaging to suggest that it is suitable as an aftershave. I find it useless as a post-shave product. It sits on the skin, does not get absorbed and feels greasy. Ideal characteristics for a pre-shave but bugger all use for afterwards. I quite like Pro Raso's green cream - nice cooling effect from the menthol.

I bought mine in Italy and the pack says nothing in Italian about post shaving in Italian. It is labelled " Crema pre Barba."

Back
Top Bottom