Going to have a go making a razor.

Garbe said:
Looks fantastic, is that as it came back from the machine shop?

Yes but only for some photo's, it's on the way back to the machine shop for some minor machine work then hopefully next week I can start work on the blade buffing polishing and finally making a set of scales for the razor.

Jamie

Well I finished the blade, I haven't yet honed the razor, but even after buffing and polishing she shaves hairs off my arm, the steel seems OK, I've even given her a mock up run in a pair of scales and to be honest I don't think it suits this size razor, another thing this project as taught me how well balanced and how really well made old vintage razors are, I have two idea's of what may come of this razor I may keep it as a Kamisori type shaver or I may turn it into a small kitchen utility knife, If I'm perfectly honest and had to sum up the razor I would say it's been a successful project with lot's of things learn't all good of course, but looking at some of my vintage razor I have a new found level and higher respect for those makers, not to say I wouldn't have a go in the future of making another razor, and yes I would use different methods and a different design.

Jamie.

001-18.jpg

005-10.jpg

004-13.jpg

003-14.jpg

jodypress said:
Very very impressive Jamie. I think the Kamisori style is the way to go. How was the first shave with the W&B by the way?

Hi Jody, the Wade & Butcher took a lovely edge and her first shave was a memorable one, I let the Mrs run the rule over the shave and she was impressed, It's a fantastic old razor, by the way how's your two razors you've just finished, have you given them a shave yet?

Jamie.

Only just catching up with this thread and the thing that strikes me is whether the shoulder at the heel end interferes with honing? I'm assuming by now Jamie that you've honed it so I'd be interested in the outcome.

UKRob said:
Only just catching up with this thread and the thing that strikes me is whether the shoulder at the heel end interferes with honing? I'm assuming by now Jamie that you've honed it so I'd be interested in the outcome.

Actually Rob I totally reground the razor, taking the stabilizing bar right down and flush with the cutting edge making it easier to hone, If I'm honest It's a bit on the large side, and my God is it a hard piece of steel, the one thing a project like this teaches you is how very well thought out vintage razors are, I have started honing the blade you can tell that It will take a good edge not to sure If I will make a Kamisori type razor or my Wife did say that it would make a nice little Kitchen utility style knife with a Wharnclifffe style blade. I have so many restores on over the last few weeks that I just can't fit the blade in.

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom