Giving up sugar

Fido said:
Around 6 weeks now. Gone on to no milk in coffee and tea. Think I've cracked it.

Funny you should mention that Peter, everyone I know who has stopped taking suger in tea and coffee has stopped taking milk as we'll not long after.

I did the same. No added sugar in tea, apple tea with honey if I want a sweet hit and cut down on the cakes at work...

Don't buy biscuits for work anymore and my big vice, Vimto is now sugar free (the diluting variety).

Coupled with running and Metafit classes I am down from 15 st 8lb to 13 8.

I had headaches for the first week, and cravings, especially after running or Metafit but they have passed.

If I do fancy a chocolate biscuit, I have one. But only when I crave, rather than out of habit.....

RB73 said:
Fido said:
Around 6 weeks now. Gone on to no milk in coffee and tea. Think I've cracked it.

Funny you should mention that Peter, everyone I know who has stopped taking suger in tea and coffee has stopped taking milk as we'll not long after.

Having gone over to green tea I never put milk I too. But I gave up sugar is tea long before. Still have a little, perhaps half a spoon in coffee, but that's not everytime.

I haven't taken sugar in tea for many years and I stopped taking it in sugar in coffee a couple of years ago. However I like my coffee stronger than the American military so I take the bitterness out of it with a small amount of honey on the end of a teaspoon.

I've stopped using it in my coffee since reading this thread a few weeks ago (thanks for the inspiration Fido).

I too find coffee bitter without it, so I just add more milk (low fat) now to take the sting out of it.

That said... I've a can of coke here beside me right now... gotta start somewhere I guess.

Those that find coffee bitter without sugar, have you tried a pinch of salt?

http://blog.khymos.org/2010/03/21/a-pinch-of-salt-for-your-coffee-sir/

MrK1 said:
Those that find coffee bitter without sugar, have you tried a pinch of salt?

http://blog.khymos.org/2010/03/21/a-pinch-of-salt-for-your-coffee-sir/

That's interesting, especially the bit about putting salt in Tonic water. I prefer Fevertree as it's not as bitter as Schweppes, but I can't always get Fevertree, so I may try that.

Into my third month now. And not tempted.

Now into my 70s and relatively inactive I'd assumed weight loss was not a realistic option. When younger and fitter I was around 12.10 consistently. For the past few years I've hovered around 14.7. And being over 6 feet tall never felt significantly overweight. But I recently got to thinking a bit more seriously about my health so packing up sugar seemed a sensible thing to try. But of course one thing leads to another. So after sugar, out went the biscuits and cake with drinks. More water instead of extra tea or coffee. No second helpings and more fruit. Just a sensible three meals a day. And really not a lot more exercise - just a few more short walks.

And here I am at 13.3 feeling better than I have done for years wondering why I had become so complacent about my weight. I've no doubt I will soon be back below 13 stone. And this time, I'll be staying there. So perhaps it's another case of it's never too late.

Now I need to buy some trousers that fit.

Well now. For several weeks I have stabilised at some 30lbs below my starting weight. Now under the twelve and half stone I spent most of my life at. Absolutely no temptation to return to the sugar, biscuit and pastry days.

An interesting consequence is clothes. And the realisation that many went back over 25 years. One massive clear out and a restock relevant to current lifestyle well under way. As is always the case everything we do has consequences!

Congradulation !! Not an easy achievement.
My father lived to 94, good health till 90. His only 2 Health Rules were: no White Sugar, and no White Bread.
Everything else was in moderation. I should be as wise!

Well done Peter....Leaving out milk will be next....I don't take sugar at all, even on cereal, and I can't say that I miss it....I cut the milk out from tea and coffee about 6 years ago, and I can't say as I miss that either...You can actually taste the tea and the coffee without milk and sugar......

Mind you I like them both very, very strong, and ration myself to one beaker of fresh ground espresso per day, whereas at one time I used to drink it all day long...........But I'm getting a bit old, to be revved up all day long now anyway.

He still has time to give them up! We can be wishing him a happy 105th[emoji57].
Had a great grand father that died in his 90's. Had an argument with his son... When out to plow a field to get over his upset, and was struck by Lightening!!
(don't think he had white sugar or white bread[emoji33])

I did give up Plowing and Lightening... Just in case!

I used to be a two teaspoon merchant in my tea/coffee, i gave it up about 10 years ago, i only drink tea when i have a fry up, but find the taste of tea so much nicer without sugar. On coffee, i love filter/tassimo, but some brands i do find very bitter and could do with a touch of sugar. when i was a "user" most of the coffee tasted the same, but now, i can instantly tell the difference of a costa to a kenco..Keep to it Fido, soon you will enjoy your tea/coffee more.

rob

Back
Top Bottom