Giving up sugar

Having been a sugar addict for all my life I've decided to stop having my two heaped teaspoonfuls in my average 5 cups of tea/coffee a day.
Now I reckon that's 250 calories a day or 91000 a year. Given 3500 calories is supposed to equate to a pound of body fat, I reckon I'll be gone in about 8 years.

Survived two weeks so far.

I use to take sugar in tea and coffee, for some reason a good few years ago I stopped. I can't stand sugar in tea now if someone accidentally puts sugar in I can't drink it.

But I have to say I am still a sugar addicted, I've a very sweet tooth, well what's left of them.

Well done though stopping two heaped all of a sudden is good going.

At one time I took two spoonfuls in a cup, then up to three. After a while this still wasn't sweet enough and I ended up taking four spoonfuls. Made up my mind to completely stop sugar, and for about 6 months had to really force myself to drink tea, but gradually got used to it. Funnily, nowadays if there's even the hint of sugar in tea I can't drink it. You will see the pounds disappear weekly.

Great news Fido, keep it up, be strong.

I used to take sugar in tea and coffee (I think everyone used to back in the day) but when I was a student I was too lazy to do this extra step and saw it as an unnecessary expense, so I just stopped.
It's surprisingly easy to stop once you've done it for a while and going back tastes horrid, so there's hope for you. You'll even discover you can taste the tea/coffee now :)
I still have a sweet tooth for cakes etc. but for drinks I'm happily sugar-free.

Well done Fido.

I have two heaped tea spoons in my hot drinks too. Two days ago I decided I'd stop that, as well as cut out salt from dinners too. First cup of tea without was nasty, but since it's getting bearable.

Good luck Sir.

I've never had sugar in my tea or coffee but I do have trouble with biscuits! I've been cutting these out for the past week or so. So far so good but I miss them so much!

Don't you guys find coffee tastes weird with sugar? If. Get one by mistake it just ruins the taste.

I guess it's the other way round for people who take sugar.

Dipesh said:
Don't you guys find coffee tastes weird with sugar? If. Get one by mistake it just ruins the taste.

I guess it's the other way round for people who take sugar.

It does, now. If you've always had sugar in tea and coffee it taste's 'normal'. I can't have sugar in tea or coffee now as I find it far too sweet. With tea it's like drinking sugary water, you can't actually taste the tea. Coffee took a little more adjusting too but now I couldn't have it in coffee.

If I could only stop eating chocolate too... :icon_sad:

I used to take 3 large spoons of sugar in my coffee. But my partner at the time took hers without, Being inherintly lazy i couldn't be arsed getting the sugar out the cupboard just for my brew. I just stopped one day - never looked back, never missed it - i too still love sweet things but as time goes on I am finding that increasingly I encounter stuff that i am finding just too sweet for me. I guess tastes change as you move through the years........ who knows , maybe i'll revisit "roll mop herring" at some point (but i doubt it!)

antdad said:
You'll eventually get used to it Peter and then wonder what all the fuss was about.

A lot of people say that. I have made several half hearted attemps over the years. But I'm now restricted in the exercise I can take. So I need to watch my weight.

The clincher was remembering my old mum. She smoked heavily until her early 50s then just quit one day. She never smoked again and lived into her 90s. So I'm resolved to follow suit with no sugar in hot drinks. Might still have some with my occasional bowl of shredded wheat - for old times sake.

Might be worth giving a thought to changing or giving up the actual carrier to ease the transition; perhaps a change to a nice earl grey, green or lapsang that isn't as tannic and require sweetening.

Back
Top Bottom