Gillette Superthins

Hi Chaps

Having spent the last year using either Gillette Yellow 7 o'clock or Feathers, I believe I need to live a bit more on the edge (as so to speak) and I am tempted by the Superthins. It looks like they have become quiet popular.

Is e bay the best place to buy?

Hi Rousey

Send me a PM and I'll get a pack in the post to you - best way to know if they are any good is to try them for yourself ;)

Cheers,

Adam

cheers hm for that......, since getting into de shaving seriously this year, i bought 50 derbys off the bay. altho they seem ok, others round these parts dont rate them too highly.

i have asked for some 7 clock yellows & the astras on offer on amazon as ideas for lickle pressies from the wifey for xmas, but not sure if the grass will be any greener, as feathers/iridiums/superthins seem to be getting all the attention :)

wot a minefield, pity the sample sets are a bit pricey, rick.

Everyone's different, and blades can vary in different razors, but you could look at my blade review spreadsheet in the DE Blades thread. Astras for me are very good all rounders and Iridiums very smooth; Derbys lose their edge and irritate my skin quickly. They all have different characteristics so always worth a try yourself or look at my own findings.

singerman - if you PM me your address, I can get a mini sample set in the post to you. With, say, 2 Gillette Yellows, 2 Gillette Superthins, 2 Feathers and 2 Astra Platinums. Not a huge number but gives you a little taste of each. The Superthins are my least favourite out of that selection. The Yellows and Feathers my favourites - in that order.

One of the things that I have learned in shaving is that there are no definitives. Aside from personal taste there is definitely a difference in the quality of the equipment that's being used. While I my feel that a Merkur Futur is the best thing since sliced bread the next guy down the road is putting his up for sale. As I rotate soaps, and razors and brushes I find that I have to be selective of razor blades. There may be allrounders in blades there will be some razors that work best with a certain brand.
But that doesn't seem to stop us from searching for the Grail.

Superthins are fine blades, but no better than 7 O'Clocks (yellow or the green super stainless), they're made in the same factory from the same steel, and I find them very comparable. If you have a lot of yellows, don't go out of your way for the thins, there's not a big difference. I can't actually tell a difference at all.

Canuck said:
Superthins are fine blades, but no better than 7 O'Clocks (yellow or the green super stainless), they're made in the same factory from the same steel, and I find them very comparable. If you have a lot of yellows, don't go out of your way for the thins, there's not a big difference. I can't actually tell a difference at all.

That makes sense, I haven't got on very well with either of them.

Canuck said:

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to trying the Superthins; the 7 0'Clock yellows are my favourite in my Slant and Feathers are my preferred in my HD.

Cheers, Rousey

kt66 said:
Canuck said:

You'd think that, i like superthins and hate the yellows.

Re: RE: Gillette Superthins

jon_hall said:
kt66 said:
Canuck said:
If you have a lot of yellows, don't go out of your way for the thins, there's not a big difference. I can't actually tell a difference at all.

You'd think that, i like superthins and hate the yellows.

I think this just goes to show just how subjective this whole business is. Myself, I find the Yellows to be more comfortable to shave with and to yield a cleaner shave than the Superthins.

Back
Top Bottom