Closed GEM Damaskeene loaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a shaver grade Damaskeene I'm willing to lend out, thanks to Norfolk Dick for loaning me his before I went looking. If you like the 1912 this is a little more refined and provides a superior shave imo.

Sign up, if theres a decent response I'll try and get it out before Xmas but it's probably best to leave it till after.

damaskeene4.jpg

It's not on loan but here's my little travel sized Damaskeene WWI military set I also managed to pick up.

attachment.php

$_57.JPG

RE: GEM Damaskene loaner

Very generous of you, the Damaskene seems like quite a sought after razor. I'd like to give it a try if possible, I've found the shaves I've been getting from the 1912 to be good so it'd be interesting to have a comparison. Is this the razor that cost you dearly in admin charges?

No it's another, the one on offer is a bit brassy but straight. I'm sure Dick can offer a more detailed comparison but the head on the Damaskeene is curved rather than straight which seems to present to the face a little differently. Send us your address and I'll get it out to you.

Greetings

Tony is quite right the Damskeene does seem to present to the face differently to all the other 1912's.

True that on most models the top cover is curved rather than having a bevel at the blade end but apart from this it is just impossible to put your finger on as to why the Damskeene shaves better than all the other models of 1912's.

Just about all SE users agree that a Damaskeene is the best shaver of all the 1912's an opinion I completely agree with. You can compare this razor to other 1912's and poke feeler gauges in it and measure different parts of the razor but apart from the top cover everything seems the same but it just shaves better, there are all sorts of fanciful reasons given for this, many of which you can read on B&B and IMHO none of them (at least to me) make much sense, it's just one of lifes minor mysteries.

I also have an open comb Damaskeene which IMHO does not shave quite as well as the more often seen standard model like this one.

Anybody interested in SE's should jump at the chance of trying this razor they are by the way not aggressive and ultra easy to shave with but cut whiskers better than many razors twice as aggressive.

Regards
Dick.

I wouldn't mind a go at this please, as I keep reading about SE shaving and can't decide whether to take the plunge. Where's the best place to get just a few blades to try it with and how many shaves per blade?

@Charlie - I'll include a few blades, 3-5 shaves for me.

@Jim - Pretty much and the occasional straight.

At first I did not see the appeal in SE's at all but I was lucky and had a decent experience with my first (UK E-bar) which I still like to use. Dick is right in that the Damaskeene is extremely effective without being silly aggressive however there are quite a number I don't particularly like to shave with including the streamline, bullet tip, shovel head to mention just a few.

Drop me a line I'll lend you something if you want.

I would like to give this one a try too if possible please. I have tried the 1912, Streamline, Shovelhead and OCMM but I'm hoping that the Damaskeen will beat them all.

Not a problem, I'll assume the loan order on this thread and you can sort it out amongst yourselves.

No problem, I'll be sending it out this week to the first in the list which is Exapno...you guys contact each other and organise who gets it there after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom