Folding Knife Recommendations

Yes, the Opinel are also non legal carry here, on account of the lock if not blade length. (You can also get the small ones with no locking ring and they'd be OK). The one I've got is too long for starters, never mind the lock. It doesn't leave the house. My Spyderco UKPK is legal carry but I would not walk around with it in my pocket even though I probably could. I don't fancy having it taken off me by a copper who doesn't know what is and isn't legal, as it was not cheap. I would take it camping or if I knew I needed it for a particular task, but not EDC. It looks pretty aggressive even though fully legal.

I used to be big into the EDC and pocket knife thing, have had and still do have some Kershaw's, Spyderco's, SAK's....etc.
One standout knife and the one I use most now is made by a Spanish brand called ''Joker''. They had them on Amazon years back and it cost about 20 quid or less. Carbon blade and non locking, lovely olive wood handle. This thing came as sharp as any Sypdero and stays very sharp ( and gets very sharp with ease). Blade has a pretty modern 'full flat grind' but is a traditional and simple knife overall. And it's UK legal.
I think it's a dark horse!

I think this is the very one. 14.99....might have to get another myself.

I read an article recently where they queried a few of the largest knife retail "brick & mortar" stores in the USA & Canada regarding knife sales and the answers were very interesting. Most people shy away from the newest "super steel" knives and buy something practical and a huge factor was something they could resharpen easily on their own, which discounts almost all of the "super steel" knives. Carbon steel is still a big seller. People may be cheap when it comes to knives, but they are generally practical.

I will admit to enjoyment in reading about new steel development for knives, but I also believe that most of it (just like wet shaving) is purely revenue driven and to claim the "bestest/newest" advance in metallurgy. Most of us are not going to have to walk out of the Amazon basin after a plane crash and depend solely on a knife to fend off jaguars, cannibals, drug runners, venomous snakes, etc., as well as slash through foliage back to civilization. :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah people like Gairdner who carve brush handles from trees as a business might benefit from the latest powdered steel. Having CTS BD1N blade for cutting pieces of string and breaking down boxes is probably overkill! I still like my Spydey though...

Last edited:
I used to be big into the EDC and pocket knife thing, have had and still do have some Kershaw's, Spyderco's, SAK's....etc.
One standout knife and the one I use most now is made by a Spanish brand called ''Joker''. They had them on Amazon years back and it cost about 20 quid or less. Carbon blade and non locking, lovely olive wood handle. This thing came as sharp as any Sypdero and stays very sharp ( and gets very sharp with ease). Blade has a pretty modern 'full flat grind' but is a traditional and simple knife overall. And it's UK legal.
I think it's a dark horse!

I think this is the very one. 14.99....might have to get another myself.
Free P and P too , enabled , thanks

Yeah people like Gairdner who carve brush handled from trees as a business might benefit from the latest powdered steel. Having CTS BD1N blade for cutting pieces of string and breaking down boxes is probably overkill! I still like my Spydey though...

A few years back I bought for a measly $20 a Spyderco flanker line knife, a Robin by Byrd. It is my EDC and to be frank I could not ask more of an EDC knife for quality & size. Spyderco has an almost cult like following here in the USA amongst knife nerds as the owner Sal not only listens to his fan base and what they want, but delivers. ;)(y)

Evening peoples.

I'm looking for a single blade, non locking, UK Legal, EDC, folding pocket knife.
Preferably with a wooden handle.
I've searched all over and can find plenty of modern stuff but seems too trendy.
Just want a handy tool that cuts stuff to keep on me when I'm out working etc.
Not so keen on generic Swiss army knives.

Any recommendations and related links...?
Spyderco do a UK legal EDC but with a composite handle

Back
Top Bottom