Folding Knife Recommendations

The Opinels are great knives. Although it's a wicked thing to do with a first-rate knife, it is quite easy to remove the locking collar, which results in something akin to the Higonokami knives that @hotmetal describes. It is of course necessary to have one of the legal blade length Opinels.

I have several locking knives of the Gerber and other makes, the purchase of which predate the draconian UK knife laws. It was difficult to find any sort of quality locking knife in the UK until perhaps 30 years or so ago, as most sold were the usual traditional penknives, yachting knives and so forth, and even the military versions didn't lock. If you wanted a fixed blade, you got a sheath knife, which were, as I recall, allowed in scouting about 60 years ago. In my previous line of work, it was a boon to have a good strong sharp knife, which could fold up for the pocket, but wouldn't close or slip shut when in use. I did carry one from home to work and back, and it wouldn't have been challenged, but had I forgotten to leave it at home if I went to the nearest town, I could have been in deep trouble.

Another + for Heinnie Haynes, although the website is as tempting a sweet shop as the shaving ones.

If you wanted a fixed blade, you got a sheath knife, which were, as I recall, allowed in scouting about 60 years ago.
40 years ago also
I remember being in the Scouts in the 80s and we all had sheath knives openly worn on our belts when on camp. We also used to play British Bulldog.

Nowadays the Boy Scouts allows girls, sheath knives have been replaced by marshmallow toasting forks, and British Bulldog game has been replaced by "non-country-specific safe and fluffy funtime". Its only a matter of time before the same happens to the Cadets and then we will be invaded while our army is toasting marshmallows.

Mind you British Bulldog was quite hazardous. I remember being caught by 2 older lads, and the one who had my head end let go, the one who had my feet didn't. Probably should have gone to A&E but when I woke up all I could think of was getting my own back! Probably explains why I didn't become an Oxbridge Grad though lol!

Last edited:
40 years ago also
I remember being in the Scouts in the 80s and we all had sheath knives openly worn on our belts when on camp. We also used to play British Bulldog.

Nowadays the Boy Scouts allows girls, sheath knives have been replaced by marshmallow toasting forks, and British Bulldog game has been replaced by "non-country-specific safe and fluffy funtime". Its only a matter of time before the same happens to the Cadets and then we will be invaded while our army is toasting marshmallows.

Mind you British Bulldog was quite hazardous. I remember being caught by 2 older lads, and the one who had my head end let go, the one who had my feet didn't. Probably should have gone to A&E but when I woke up all I could think of was getting my own back! Probably explains why I didn't become an Oxbridge Grad though lol!
What? I suppose Red Rover will be next, or am I too late?:eek: Remember, “ Stay safe”.:unsure:

Nowadays it's more likely to be Rover the killer beach ball out of The Prisoner!

Edit: looks like the lawyers and nannies beat you to it, according to the Gamer.

In order to play Red Rover, you line up a bunch of kids and have them hold hands. Then you have another kid sprint toward a pair of interlocking hands and have him try to get them to let go with the force of his rushing body. That's it. That's the purpose of the game. Looking back on it, it feels like exactly the kind of game a kid would enjoy. Pointless and somewhat masochistic.

Not on an attentive school's watch. With the help of some lawsuits, several schools have banned or regulated the playing of Red Rover. As with other games on this list, the reasons for banning it are excessive violence and the danger that it presents to children. More than the physical nature of Red Rover, we wonder at the simplistic rules that govern the game. Come on, kids, you can be a little more creative than that.

Ok so I'm getting the feeling that the Opinel brand is worth a punt. Guess I will have to go for a No 5 as that's the legal limit.
But do I go for Carbon Steel or stainless steel?

Also I've noted some reviews moan about the flexibility of the blade... They say it's too thin.
Those of you that have one... Do you think the blades are thin/flexible?

Ok so I'm getting the feeling that the Opinel brand is worth a punt. Guess I will have to go for a No 5 as that's the legal limit.
But do I go for Carbon Steel or stainless steel?

Also I've noted some reviews moan about the flexibility of the blade... They say it's too thin.
Those of you that have one... Do you think the blades are thin/flexible?
I prefer the minimal maintenance of Stainless.
Blade thickness is a choice made on the uses you plan for the knife. For a pocket knife I like a thin blade and don't use it for any leverage/twist and cut type use.

Taylors and Rodgers are Sheffield makers and unless they've gone downhill, make decent and legal penknives. There's a place called The Real Sheffield Shop that sells them, but I expect there are others.
Taylor Eye Witness factory in Sheffield is indeed producing all manner of quality cutlery and hobby knives.

I have a boker uk legal knife and a morakniv companion.
As a gardener I keep the boker clipped inside my pocket, but the morakniv being a 4 inch fixed blade gets clipped to my belt when I am working.
One day going to supermarket for a pee and beer/food and was stopped by the plod he said to me , you are a gardener eh.
As soon as he said that I shat myself and grabbed the big knife and said I will put it back in the van. No bother he said.
So not all plodder are arses. But you have to encounter the right one.
I now make a point to check all my pockets when going shopping.

I grew up in West germany and for my 9th birthday I got 6 inch bowie sheath knife and everwhere I went it was clipped to my belt,
The same with all my friends.
We never imagined using it to stab anyone, the knives were tools, and to play splits, not weapons and as such when conflicts come about the belts were taken off and it was all fisticuffs. And running home crying to your mum.
Great times, fuck I want to be ten again, no responsibility and a big knife. :LOL:

I have a Mora Classic No. 2 (same blade as the companion) which I wouldn't think twice about carrying anywhere I think I'll need it. Mostly it earns its keep making feather sticks and batoning wood on camping trips but it's a very useful tool for anything where you need a sharp edge. A lot sturdier than a folding knife.

Moras aren't expensive but have decent steel and easy-to-sharpen scandi grinds.

I have a Mora Classic No. 2 (same blade as the companion) which I wouldn't think twice about carrying anywhere I think I'll need it. Mostly it earns its keep making feather sticks and batoning wood on camping trips but it's a very useful tool for anything where you need a sharp edge. A lot sturdier than a folding knife.

Moras aren't expensive but have decent steel and easy-to-sharpen scandi grinds.
I hadn't heard of Mora before, they appear to be the main competitor to Opinel. I may get one.

Reactions: abj
Mora are rightful classics and I’ve had a number over the years. Their 106 is one of the very best green wood carving knives there is at any price. I use mine on softer hardwoods regularly. An expert honer might even be able to get one shave capable.

How long can you wait for delivery?
Because these are probably 'different' to what's in the UK (Made in NZ).
They were made from old straight razors years ago, and just re-purposed.
These days, I don't know about the steel used...but they would be surely legal in UK?
Plus, you can support the folks in the Colonies (we still have a Queen's Birthday holiday over here).
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_category=26&controller=category

How long can you wait for delivery?
Because these are probably 'different' to what's in the UK (Made in NZ).
They were made from old straight razors years ago, and just re-purposed.
These days, I don't know about the steel used...but they would be surely legal in UK?
Plus, you can support the folks in the Colonies (we still have a Queen's Birthday holiday over here).
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_category=26&controller=category
Dang it......
I just ordered an Opinel No.5 stainless....
But I love the look of these bad boys...
Maybe I'll look out for one of these too.... Hmmmmmmm maybe I have found something else to start s collection of, folding knifes.... My wife will be well chuffed. :ROFLMAO:

Dang it......
I just ordered an Opinel No.5 stainless....
But I love the look of these bad boys...
Maybe I'll look out for one of these too.... Hmmmmmmm maybe I have found something else to start s collection of, folding knifes.... My wife will be well chuffed. :ROFLMAO:
Well...you know the way it goes...get both.
You know you really want too.
What colour do you like, or is it the wooden handled jobbies?
Can't wait to see what one you get!

Well...you know the way it goes...get both.
You know you really want too.
What colour do you like, or is it the wooden handled jobbies?
Can't wait to see what one you get!
Probably the black handle....
But I do like the wooden handle too....
How much are they coz I didn't notice any price's, maybe I didn't look properly.

Back
Top Bottom