First shave with the r41 2011

monkeytennis said:
OK, tried again this morning and really can not get the hang of this razor. Thinking of popping it up on the BST for a trade to a slant. Would anyone be interested? Just while I try to make up my mind.

Yes it would sell on the BST, it took me a while to get used to my r41, when people are saying no pressure at all they mean none whatsoever and that is where i was going wrong at 1st.

The r41 gives me the best shave of any de razor i own by far, better than my 39c, slim adjustable, ej89 and Merkur 34c in fact i now mostly use the r41 because its so good a shave.

The blade angle to face is very critical on this razor...try putting the razor head against your cheek,the handle sticking out at right angles from your face.Then looking in the mirror at the blade edge,bring the handle down until the blade edge is just about parallel to your cheek....think "Straight Razor" blade with this razor...if the angle is slightly off, it gives you more of a vicious scrape...and I mean a vicious scrape.....

If / When you get the angle just right...the 41r will give you a smoother closer shave than any other razor..

Right,will use the slant i have front the pass around for a few days to let my face recover and i will then try it again.if not think i will try and.trade it for a slant.

I don't find the R41 easy to use but it does give a nice result when you get it right and I think that adds to the mystique/interest factor. I much prefer it to the 39c but it's not something I would use every day ( or at least not right now).

Still struggling with my R41. So far, out of five shaves with it, three have left me with reasonable sized cuts. That said, it's just the one cut each time and the rest of the shave is superb so I'm going to stick with it for now as I feel like I'm almost there. Also hoping that it will help me get the hang of the Futur too...

monkeytennis said:
Right,will use the slant i have front the pass around for a few days to let my face recover and i will then try it again.if not think i will try and.trade it for a slant.

I have a 37C slant if you're interested in a swap. :icon_wink:

It was either a slant or an r41, and in the end the Muhle won. Whilst I was waiting for it I researched it a but more and started to wonder if I might have made a mistake. I have been shaving by DE for a year now, although I used to use one some years ago. So I make no claims to expertise.

In the light of some of the comments in various sites I set aside my usual choice of blades and went for a red IP. And MWF. And this morning, having a little more time on my hands I gave it a shot.

Nervously, I was light handed and careful, particularly of the blade angle. And amazingly, it was a piece of cake. No cuts, one slight red weepy and a damned close shave in one pass.

And the moral of this story is, if I can do it, most of you can as well. Its a superb piece of kit which is sufficiently different to demand a place in any collectors bathroom. I shall try it again either tomorrow or next weekend with a sharper blade, probably an Iridium. But this is a keeper.

This is a nice and fairly well built razor. Alas it is a tad too mild for me. All my daily shavers (DE) give a closer shave. And yes, i tried all angles. In fact found 4 sweet spots, varying from mild to closer.

RobTheWire said:
Wil said:
This is a nice and fairly built razor. Alas it is a tad too mild for me. All my daily shavers (DE) give a closer shave. And yes, i tried all angles. In fact found 4 sweet spots, varying from mild to closer.

Yeah :rolleyes:.

You are right, should add that during the 4 weeks i shaved with it (daily) i did not get a single cut, nick or weeper. But then last time that happened was when i switched to Feather AC. And even that was not necessary, just a stupid mistake, and one tiny nick. Was gone in a few days. With a DE razor my last blood was more than 2 years ago.
And my favorite DE razors (now hardly used anymore) are Fatip and English Gillette New. Favorite blade Feather.

Wil said:
This is a nice and fairly well built razor. Alas it is a tad too mild for me. All my daily shavers (DE) give a closer shave. And yes, i tried all angles. In fact found 4 sweet spots, varying from mild to closer.

Seriously? R41 2011 mild?

49er said:
Wil said:

Seriously? R41 2011 mild?

Yes, but I call my Fatip a nice, mild razor too ;-). But it is both really true. I have tried some 50 razors and not one I found "aggressive". But, yes i read all the comments made by others. That is what made me get one. I believed this one would be more "aggressive" than my Fatip. To me it was not, alas. But i hope others have fun with it. I boxed it.

Back
Top Bottom