First shave with MWF!

Mythbusted the hard water myth: http://theshavingroom.co.uk/communi...wool-fat-water-sensitive-answer-inside.35452/ ... if anything, hard water gave a firmer lather.

Makes sense, right? Hard water, firm lather. Or, in the words of Bertie Wooster, "Hard water? That would be ice, wouldn't it?"

[I do think hard water may make some soaps more difficult to lather (my only evidence for this is the fact that I have hard water and some soaps people rave about the performance of I find tricky to get good lathers out of), but, as I've said before, MWF is not one of these.]

Well, I've been soaking my puck of MWF today and tomorrow I will report back, hopefully it will be an easy soap to lather, thanks for the advice :-(
You shouldn't have any problems buddy :) I have hard water in my area, and I soak my puck. I hit it with a medium damp brush and boom, lather explosion.

Round about four minutes, you will see how I build a great MWF lather :)

I thought I'd post an update on how I was getting on with MWF and my hard water. Having read through all the posts here, I kind of took a piece of everyones advice and applied it to my shave this morning. From Waynes advice I hydrated the soap, although I only covered it with water for a day, rather than two. From Pauls post, I only left a teaspoon of water on the soap when i showered. From Nicks video, I loaded the brush for two minutes, and again from Pauls post, I lathered for almost 6 minutes, slowly adding more water as recommended by several people. I also had a damp brush, not squeezing the water out as I usually do.

I had an absolute tonne of lather, way more than my small bowl could hold, and the lather seemed much lighter than what I thought was a good lather, tho there wasn't many bubbles and there was a great sheen to it. As soon as I applied it to my face, I knew this was better.

After the first pass, it felt like I had just put moisturiser on my face. The lather was excellent and remained great for the three passes, and I easily had enough for another three. I've been wet shaving for about 8 months and this was easily the best shave I have had. I passed my alum block over my face to see if I had much irritation and there was none. My face is so soft now, definitely no need for any balm. Tomorrow I think I'll load for a minute and a half, just because of all the lather I had left over, apart from that I will repeat everything.

Thanks for all the advice lads, I'm so happy I got it to work, and so fantastically!!

(In case anyone was wondering, I've been using the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band and had a Timor blade today in an Edwin Jagger DE89)

I thought I'd post an update on how I was getting on with MWF and my hard water. Having read through all the posts here, I kind of took a piece of everyones advice and applied it to my shave this morning. From Waynes advice I hydrated the soap, although I only covered it with water for a day, rather than two. From Pauls post, I only left a teaspoon of water on the soap when i showered. From Nicks video, I loaded the brush for two minutes, and again from Pauls post, I lathered for almost 6 minutes, slowly adding more water as recommended by several people. I also had a damp brush, not squeezing the water out as I usually do.

I had an absolute tonne of lather, way more than my small bowl could hold, and the lather seemed much lighter than what I thought was a good lather, tho there wasn't many bubbles and there was a great sheen to it. As soon as I applied it to my face, I knew this was better.

After the first pass, it felt like I had just put moisturiser on my face. The lather was excellent and remained great for the three passes, and I easily had enough for another three. I've been wet shaving for about 8 months and this was easily the best shave I have had. I passed my alum block over my face to see if I had much irritation and there was none. My face is so soft now, definitely no need for any balm. Tomorrow I think I'll load for a minute and a half, just because of all the lather I had left over, apart from that I will repeat everything.

Thanks for all the advice lads, I'm so happy I got it to work, and so fantastically!!

(In case anyone was wondering, I've been using the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band and had a Timor blade today in an Edwin Jagger DE89)
Great news, when it's right it's right, you've got to love the fat.

Thankyou, I will try to replicate because I love the fat.
You shouldn't have any problems buddy :) I have hard water in my area, and I soak my puck. I hit it with a medium damp brush and boom, lather explosion.

Round about four minutes, you will see how I build a great MWF lather :)
Well thanks for all the advice re the fat, soaked puck and wow what a difference, easy lathering, no effort at all and it was slick enough for my 60mm kamisori to do it's work efficiently. Thankyou all who have given me advice regarding MWF possibly one of the best soaps out there with both tallow and lanolin, I love's it.

Looking forward to receiving my OSP shaving soap, he has a really great selection of soap's, I will have to try them all in due course but the spice Road sound's perfect for me, thanks again for the nod.
I have Not Done the OSP Soaps but by All Accounts You will Experience a High Quality Tallow Soap..MWF just Doesn't Look Near Decent Tallow Soaps in My Books..Vitos, Haslinger & Valobra are Up there as Well to Name a Few..:D

Billy

Absolutely. It is fantastic value when you consider the cost per shave versus performance. I am about 60 shaves into my current puck and it has barely dented it!
Absolutely. It is fantastic value when you consider the cost per shave versus performance. I am about 60 shaves into my current puck and it has barely dented it!
I gave my fat puck a real good soaking and it's swelled up nicely!
This morning I was able to whip up a fantastic lather with no problems what so ever in no time at all. So thankyou to you and everyone else who suggested I should give my puck a proper soaking, it really does work wonders.

I gave my fat puck a real good soaking and it's swelled up nicely!
This morning I was able to whip up a fantastic lather with no problems what so ever in no time at all. So thankyou to you and everyone else who suggested I should give my puck a proper soaking, it really does work wonders.
We aim to please :D A bit of regular hydration (or use) will see it right from here henceforth :D

Back
Top Bottom