Finding it hard to get on with Cella

Yes, thought I would give the Cella a go having started off on the soap front with MWF (which unashamedly I purchased thinking that if I didnt like the MWF soap the bowl was a keeper for other soaps anyway).

Well, Ive used the cella for the past week now and whilst it has a nice almond smell and provides plenty of lather, I just feel that it doesnt seem to make my face feel as nice as the MWF (despite the acknowledgement of a few in-growers since using MWF extensively I must admit).

Unsure if its my technique with it but I do feel that I might be making it too 'dry' - my method is soak it for a bit after normal preshave routine (shower, scrub, proraso) and then swirl up a good lather in the cella bowl upside down, face lather and then dip brush in water again and work in a bit extra water into lather until it feels slick.

Is this a fair comparison or am I now stuck in a MWF rut?
What else compares to the niceness of MWF?

Tabac smells terrible! :p

I find Cella less drying than MWF and better on my skin but plenty of folks will disagree. Keep trying with the Cella but ultimately, it may not be the one for you.

Isn't Cella too soft a soap to treat like MWF (soak in warm water whilst showering).

I always scoop out a chunk about the size of an almond and put this into a bowl to lather up. Seems to take a fair amount of water to get it to lather correctly. I found the bowl-lathering sound goes a lot quieter just before it's ready to apply to face.
I think a stiffer brush is better to lather the soap as it tends to stick to the side of the bowl.

I agree with you that it's not as moisturising as say MWF but if you're getting in-growns then maybe you need a rest once in a while by using a soap like Cella.

Hope this is of help.

I picked up the cella tonight and i always get good results from using it no dryness to the skin as i only have to slap on a bit of A/S balm 4 hours on and it still feels the same as it did just after the shave normally my skin would have been left a little dry by now....

will say just keep trying it may just be down to your technique but don't give up on it as its a great soap to use....

Cella works well for me too.

Lathering wise I treat it exactly the same as MWF. My Cella is squished into a TOBS cream tub, I drop the whole tub into a sink full of hot water along with my brush before I have a shower. I than lather up on top of the soap in the tub.

My face always stays nice and moist after using Cella as well.

Hodda said:
What else compares to the niceness of MWF?

Hi there,

MWF is right up there when it comes to post shave skin care. You might look at the DR Harris soaps as some that are in the ballpark. Another very good one for making your face feel great is the Institut Karite stuff from France. Nice light floral scent (lilac) that doesn't get in the way. That product equals MWF for sure. The C&S line of soaps are also real good, but pretty expensive.

I'd say you gave the Cella a week's worth of shaves and maybe it's time to move on.

Martin

I'd go with Al H and say try the Tabac puck, the scent is pretty strong at first but it mellows.
As for the Cella, I'm struggling to get a nice thick lather consistently as well. When I manage it I find it leaves my skin feeling great - if the lather is a bit thin then I find I need more of a post shave boost.

Al H said:
Tabac, ignore what people say of the smell

I don't know about ignoring that, it was the widely differing opinions, which were argued with such conviction, that made me go out and try this soap and I'm glad I did, it's excellent. But it's true about the smell being like marmite, I haven't seen anyone who is on the fence, me I love it but the concentrated scent of the ASL is a wee tad overpowering! :)

couldn't make lather right lather with cella until I used the turning up-bottom the soap lathering technique with a very well soaked brush which allowed me to control the amount of water needed.

I find Cella works excellently. We have very soft water so I don't know if that's a factor?

I load the brush and apply it straight the face then build lather as if I were using a soap stick.

Like with Monsavon I've found use more water than you would expect is the main factor in getting a good lather from Cella. Strange such a soft soap but needs more water than MWF?

I find Cella better when I take a wetter brush to load it with, probably a similar effect to wetting the soap. Do the 150 odd swirls with it then take it to the bowl with few drops of water. I did used to face lather with it but gave up and started bowl lathering to better effect.

I have found Cella a bit inconsistent when I've used it but it's up there with the best post skin care for me but I have quite oily skin so where it may dry others it balances nicely for me.

Cella is one of my favourites too! Wonderful stuff, easy to lather and good to the skin. But both those things depend on your skin type, and how good your water is. If you really can't get on with it then shift it on the BST and get yourself something else, no point in keeping at it if it doesn't work for you. Never tried MWF yet so can't comment on that but have you tried any of Nanny's soap yet?

I must say that Cella is also my fave... I'm probably going to buy a Kg of the stuff when it needs replacing. I like all of my soaps (including MWF) but the Cella gives an amazing thick glossy lather.

Back
Top Bottom