Festive Ham Recipe

My festive ham recipe is this...

Set the SatNav to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://goo.gl/maps/IREm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://goo.gl/maps/IREm</a><!-- m --> - drive there, say hello to my friend and butcher,
p_allan.jpg

Allan and buy the amount of his own sticky maple ham I require... give him the appropriate coin of the realm and depart.

It's quite similar to my recipe for ham at any time of the year - the only exception is when the Callant's Festival weekend is on... then it all goes more than a little bit mental there and drink is taken (and Allan shuts his shop from the Thursday to the following Tuesday)

Pig Cat said:
I thought gammon was raw and ham was cooked. Bacon is sliced gammon. Well that's what I believe to be the case. Doesn't Meat have the answer?
Meat doesn't have the answer, nor does McGee on Food and Cooking.

Gammon, ham and bacon are all cured meats, and none of them are necessarily cooked. For example, Parma ham is a type of raw ham - it's cured and then air-dried.

Ham is the hind thigh of a pig (ham hock is the "knuckle" of that leg... kinda like the drumstick on a chicken leg as I understand it).

Bacon is cured meat usually from the back or belly.

Gammon seems to be referred to as "the lower end of a side of bacon", but the word "gammon" comes from the French word "jambe" meaning "leg". I'm always slightly mistrustful of gammon, for some reason.

That looks very good PC! I do love the Christmas ham (but my only role is to collect it I hasten to add!) I generally knock a sizeable hole in the moment the foil is pulled back though :hungrig

Glad this has got a good response. Hopefully some more chaps/esses will share their favourite recipes or perhaps recommend a recipe book.

BTW we're brining our turkey this year. Never tried before but apparently this is a method favoured in the States. It's a recipe in Nigella Lawson's (do I need to put her surname?) Xmas book so should be good. Most of her recipes turn out great in my experience.

Pig Cat said:
Glad this has got a good response. Hopefully some more chaps/esses will share their favourite recipes or perhaps recommend a recipe book.
There you go folks: how many times have I remarked on how much sense PC talks? Such an excellent idea that I think I'll go and start a recipe book thread right now :hungrig

Arrowhead said:
Well, we did this recipe today, and wholeheartedly endorse it. Nice delicate flavour, looks ravishing ... and won't last long. Thanks again PC. :hungrig

Cool, glad you have given it a go. If it's anything like mine it won't last very long at all. I kept ours a week in the fridge until Christmas Day when half was consumed for a kind of brunch. The rest disappeared rapidly on Boxing Day!! :hungrig

A friend got us a ready to eat gammon for Christmas so the one I'd purchased was languishing unloved in the back of the fridge until today. We were having friends over for dinner tonight so I cooked it using Adam's recipe and everyone was suitably impressed. Melt in the mouth and very tasty. Thanks Adam!

PaulH said:
A friend got us a ready to eat gammon for Christmas so the one I'd purchased was languishing unloved in the back of the fridge until today. We were having friends over for dinner tonight so I cooked it using Adam's recipe and everyone was suitably impressed. Melt in the mouth and very tasty. Thanks Adam!

:p

Glad my recommendation came in handy!!

Back
Top Bottom