Festive Ham Recipe

This year I cooked a gammon to a recipe we haven't tried before from Good Food magazine. We've done traditional-style ham as well as the Nigella Coke one but this Ginger Beer & Tangerine Glazed Ham recipe sounded good. I have to say it is absolutely delicious, though I did buy a local rare-breed gammon so that must help I suppose. Anyway, here's the recipe, hope you like it:

3kg/6lb 8oz gammon
1 onion, halved
zest of 3 tangerines
4 star anise
2 litres/3.5 pints ginger beer (100ml of this for the glaze)

For the Glaze
100ml ginger beer
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
small handful of cloves

1 Put the gammon, onion, zest and star anise in a large pan. Pour over all but 100ml of the ginger beer and, if necessary, top up with water so the gammon is covered. Bring to the boil skimming the surface to remove any fat. Reduce to a simmer then cover and cook for 3-3.5 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove from the pan.

2 Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Carefully cut the skin off the gammon, making sure to leave a layer of fat, then lightly score the fat in to diamond shapes. Place in a roasting tin lined with foil. Warm the honey, mustard and ginger beer in a pan and boil until thickened. Sppon over the fat, then stud a clove into the middle of each diamond. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the glaze has caramelised.

I have eaten a few little bits and am really having to restrain myself as this ham is supposed to be for Christmas 'brunch'.

dsc0740mm.jpg

:hungrig

Yep the ginger beer gives it an amazing flavour. Just bought Tesco's own, nothing fancy. Worth forking out a bit for the gammon though I'd say. :D I do hope you try the recipe Tony - you won't be disappointed.

Edit: Can I just add that we we've had a BBC Good Food subscription on and off over the years and the recipes are almost all great. We tend to do the everyday sort - simple suppers, family meals etc. rather than the posher stuff and, especially recently, they have been really tasty.

antdad said:
Can you do it with any joint of ham or does it have to be gammon?

I suppose not but a ham is traditionally made from gammon. I suppose it lends itself well to this method of cooking as it is off the bone and means you can get nice big slices from it easily. Plus it has a good smoky flavour (well if smoked) being the same cut as bacon.

At this point I think HM, CD or someone with a little more knowledge of meat should step in!

PS I just added a photo of the ham to my first post - yummy!!

Please please please someone define for me the difference betweem ham, gammon and bacon.

Even wiki seems to be confused. Salt and pork is involved in all of them.

I guess we need to consult... the French.

Fortunately there is a a rare breed farm on the other side of the A143 near my parents house. I think I will have to have a go at this one, thanks Pigcat.

As for the Gammon/Ham thing as I understand it, gammon is cut after the whole carcass has been cured, whilst ham is first cut from the carcass and then cured.

sammatty said:
Fortunately there is a a rare breed farm on the other side of the A143 near my parents house.

Which one is this? Not Baylham is it? I didn't think they sold meat, thought it was just for show as it were.

Cool. I know where you mean. It's on the route we take to Banham Zoo. Then again, the one and only time we went there it was completely deserted so we've never been back. Next time we go that way I'll take another look. Cheers mate!

Pig Cat said:
Cool. I know where you mean. It's on the route we take to Banham Zoo. Then again, the one and only time we went there it was completely deserted so we've never been back. Next time we go that way I'll take another look. Cheers mate!

I think that it tends to be like that, I find revving the engine and honking the horn seems to work quite well.

Back
Top Bottom