Feathers

Good luck. Go slow. It is easy for me to get a baby arse smooth face in 2 passes but it is also easy for me to cut myself without feeling it. You may not get as many shaves from them as with other more expensive blades, although you may already know that. I'll stop blathering now!

Well, in some forums the feathers are know as the "ninja of the blades"... :lol: I used one for the fist time yesterday and they can offer you a very good BBS, but be careful with them! :shave

Finally got around to using the Feather in my Merkur 34c. Cut like butter. Very smooth. Will have to monitor these 10 blades to see if this is the way to go. I only nicked 1x on my neck, very slight but didn't even know it happened till later.

Turk said:
Finally got around to using the Feather in my Merkur 34c. Cut like butter. Very smooth. Will have to monitor these 10 blades to see if this is the way to go. I only nicked 1x on my neck, very slight but didn't even know it happened till later.

I have only used Feathers a few times before, but I do remember getting an excellent shave from one in my 34C. The combination really did scythe through 3 days worth of stubble with ease :)

So today I did the exact opposite of what WhatTheStig said to do. I was in a hurry this morning and my neck paid for it! Must have taken 3 nicks in the neck, didn't even know it until I looked in the mirror after rinsing and I had blood weeping out. They are a great shave and I guarantee that in the future, when a Feather is involved, I will most definitely slow down. :shock:

Brilliant blades.

For the first couple of shaves with a new blade, just go with the grain.

From about the third shave you can add an across the grain pass.

Once you've gone a week you can shave with one pass against the grain.

Turk said:
So today I did the exact opposite of what WhatTheStig said to do. I was in a hurry this morning and my neck paid for it! Must have taken 3 nicks in the neck, didn't even know it until I looked in the mirror after rinsing and I had blood weeping out. They are a great shave and I guarantee that in the future, when a Feather is involved, I will most definitely slow down. :shock:
I'm not one to say 'i told you so', but... :p

Today's shave was interesting. Using a feather, wasn't in a big hurry but for some reason, I took out a chunk of my lip. No fun. Hope it heals fast. I have found that the feathers are the only ones who seem to cut me up bad at times. Just IMO.

Turk said:
Today's shave was interesting. Using a feather, wasn't in a big hurry but for some reason, I took out a chunk of my lip. No fun. Hope it heals fast. I have found that the feathers are the only ones who seem to cut me up bad at times. Just IMO.

I dont get good results with Feathers in a 34C. Now Feathers in a Feather AS D1, thats different! Let me know if you want to swap them for something a little less extreme.

So.... I have has a sample pack of many different blades for quite some time now, and I have been working my way through them, when I have not been using my favourite 7 O'clock yellows.

Today (with regard to all the "warnings") I opened up the pack of Feather blades, popped one into the Fatboy and dialled it down to "3". Even considered 2. OK I'm a chicken, but you guys did give warnings, right?

All I can say is.... BRILLIANT !!
(I also discovered that my Fatboy set at 3 is different on each side, one with slightly more bite than the other).

I have also read lots recently about the Feather AS DE razor.... that's it! I'm buying one, together with a lot of Feather blades. :icon_razz:

Rod

Neep said:
Today (with regard to all the "warnings") I opened up the pack of Feather blades, popped one into the Fatboy and dialled it down to "3". Even considered 2. OK I'm a chicken, but you guys did give warnings, right?

All I can say is.... BRILLIANT !!
(I also discovered that my Fatboy set at 3 is different on each side, one with slightly more bite than the other).
Rod

Hi Rod,

Glad that blade/razor combo agreed with you. Yeah, a mild razor with a Feather can make for a really enjoyable shave.

On a sad note, your razor has a problem that's fairly common with some Gillette adjustables. As you probably figured, both sides should shave the same. I've experienced that more than once over the years.

If you bought this from a forum member then just explain the razor's not as it should be and work out something to make it right. Wouldn't be the sellers fault for selling a dud, since it's tough to know about that problem without shaving with the razor. It happens, and either a replacement or refund would be the way to go.

Martin

Well, yes. I did buy it from one of the well respected forum sellers of razors.
I have been using it on the 6 or 7 setting for a few weeks now, and on those settings I didn't notice any difference in the two sides and it was really good with my usual 7 O'clock yellows. Its only when I dialled it down to 3 and 2 that I noticed the inconsistency.

It is a particularly clean example of a Fatboy. So I'm not inclined to make a fuss about it.

Cheers
Rod

Just love Feathers...I remember my first time and the apprehension after all the ..."be careful" stuff and sounding like my old mum when I used to go out.....But I find them to be a wonderfully smooth BBS shave.....Be careful sure....IT IS razor sharp after all........you won't be silly with them I know...but don't be terrified of trying them......they're great blades.

I've read so much about Feathers being the sharpest razor blades I had to try them. So I bought some @ Connaught and after a few days they arrived. I just did my first shave with a Feather blade after having used Derby Extra, Merkur Super and Gillette SuperSilver blades. (BTW what's the deal with all the adjectives here? What a load of bollocks.) Indeed, a Feather blade is sharp, much sharper than the Derby blades I've used. The Merkur was rough, the Gillette pretty sharp too. But they don't compare well to the Feather. What a sharp blade and what a smooth shave did it give me with my Merkur 23C. Wow! I will have to see how many shaves I can do with a blade but Feather stands a good chance of becoming my razor blade of choice.

Back
Top Bottom