Feathers are growing on me...

I've noticed that after several stints with the feather blades, alternating between it and Gillette Super Thins, I am starting to prefer the Feathers. When I started out with them they were too harsh for me. It must be my technique improving I guess? So for anyone that has a stash of unused feathers lying around: Keep at it, you might be rewarded!

Tigradekat said:
I've noticed that after several stints with the feather blades, alternating between it and Gillette Super Thins, I am starting to prefer the Feathers. When I started out with them they were too harsh for me. It must be my technique improving I guess? So for anyone that has a stash of unused feathers lying around: Keep at it, you might be rewarded!

I'd be concerned if feathers were growing on me, but then again the ability to fly would be quite exciting.

As for the Feathers I don't use them often, they are a great blade, I tried thins a while ago and couldn't get on with them. But that said I am sure my technique has vastly improved, I may have to give them another go. So you are quite right, what doesn't work now may well do in the future.

I've just had my first up close and personal meeting with a Feather razor blade! It was an experience granted that. Not a good shaving experience for me though. More nicks in general and more burn, especially around the neck, compared to the Derbys. Maybe keep the remainder of the blades and try them again later down the line....maybe my technique needs to improve. So....basically keep an open mind and try another one maybe in a months time.

Frankieabbott said:
I've just had my first up close and personal meeting with a Feather razor blade! It was an experience granted that. Not a good shaving experience for me though. More nicks in general and more burn, especially around the neck, compared to the Derbys. Maybe keep the remainder of the blades and try them again later down the line....maybe my technique needs to improve. So....basically keep an open mind and try another one maybe in a months time.

i usually only get burn if i let my lather dry out. dry lathering just neck and then shaving and see if you get the burn

On the sixth use of my first Feather blade. It's been a better shaving experience for me since shave 3. First two shaves far too harsh for my liking/skin type. So it's back to the Derbys untill I can decide on what to try next.

Frankieabbott said:
On the sixth use of my first Feather blade. It's been a better shaving experience for me since shave 3. First two shaves far too harsh for my liking/skin type. So it's back to the Derbys untill I can decide on what to try next.

If you'd like a selection to try out PM me. The chaps on here were kind enough to PIF me a great selection which I'm more than happy to share.

YorkNeil said:
If you'd like a selection to try out PM me. The chaps on here were kind enough to PIF me a great selection which I'm more than happy to share.

Thanks for the offer bonny lad but I have recently ordered a blade selection on t'internet. I don't wish to wreak the wrath of most posters on here, but I am quite happy to use the Derbys....but they seem to get a bad press on here!!

Feathers are great but I think they're more suited to when you haven't shaved for a few days. They'll mow through the longer hair with ease.

I couldn't use them as an every day blade though - my skin would suffer.

John

I am trying the feathers for the first time this weekend, thought that would be best in case it cuts me up. I find the different characteristics in each blade quite different, 2 worst blades so far are Derby's and Bic, 2 best blades so far are Astra Greens and Persona. I am still struggling to find a blade which gets the hair on my neck not sure if it's technique or blade which is the issue. After the feather I only have the Timor (Mercur) blade to try, then I might go through them all again to double check, ill miss the derby and bic on the repass I think PIF them to the wife.

Tigradekat said:

maybe you should tweet this.

rangers62 said:
Tigradekat said:

maybe you should tweet this.
I like feather blades, but can be harsh in some razors, i dont know why? my slim flair tip, and most of my techs work very well with them. intresting how we all differ.

atomfire said:
I am trying the feathers for the first time this weekend, thought that would be best in case it cuts me up. I find the different characteristics in each blade quite different, 2 worst blades so far are Derby's and Bic, 2 best blades so far are Astra Greens and Persona. I am still struggling to find a blade which gets the hair on my neck not sure if it's technique or blade which is the issue. After the feather I only have the Timor (Mercur) blade to try, then I might go through them all again to double check, ill miss the derby and bic on the repass I think PIF them to the wife.

No Feather blades here but have tried the Derby and Treet and now on a Personna which has irritated me less and smoother shave with less passes. These have been much better on my neck than the Derby or Treets. No doubt technique has a fair amount to do with success as well as the razor used but will see how the Personnas fare and then try Wilkinson's then Gillette 7 O'Clocks (yellow).

Shaving is more of a pleasure now though compared to my very recent Fusion/Canned foam days. The fact that you're quids in is a big attraction too. The shave, even with Derby blades is closer than the cartridges I've used. Trying the right blade is just an added interest which makes shaving a nicer experience than a mundane chore. Walking round the supermarkets looking for cartridge 'offers' is a thing of the past and the only thing is a little dismay that there are no DE razor products sold :-/

geezer said:
atomfire said:

No Feather blades here but have tried the Derby and Treet and now on a Personna which has irritated me less and smoother shave with less passes. These have been much better on my neck than the Derby or Treets. No doubt technique has a fair amount to do with success as well as the razor used but will see how the Personnas fare and then try Wilkinson's then Gillette 7 O'Clocks (yellow).

Shaving is more of a pleasure now though compared to my very recent Fusion/Canned foam days. The fact that you're quids in is a big attraction too. The shave, even with Derby blades is closer than the cartridges I've used. Trying the right blade is just an added interest which makes shaving a nicer experience than a mundane chore. Walking round the supermarkets looking for cartridge 'offers' is a thing of the past and the only thing is a little dismay that there are no DE razor products sold :-/
Fantastic news,de shaving is soooo much better for your face as well. Some people get on very well with cartrage razors, but I never did,since using de razors my face has never been so happy, as 4 the de razors not in the shops, it's the interweb that you will find , them lots of choice if you need advice on what to buy then just post thred most people will be only to happy to help.;-)

Back
Top Bottom