Feather Stainless Razor Review

I have both.

Yes, the Feather mows stubble like is is not there, particularly with a Feather blade. Given how good the 39c is the Feather is poor value, it is an indulgence product.

Not much to add. First used a three day old Red Personna. Then today a new Gillette Super Thin. No real sense of the blade cutting as I am used to with my Mekur 38C or Jagger Chatsworth - itself not an aggressive razor. But I had a very comfortable close shave.

A statement of the obvious but presumably this razor is designed to work efficiently with Feather blades? In my Merkur they are just too sharp. I'm looking forward to trying them in this.

Christmas has come early.

Yes the Feather blade is different in this Razor to any other, all signs of unruly behavior like nicks and burns that you may associate with a first use Feather blade, are not present when used with this DE. It really demands the sharper blades although which one in particular will suit you is trial and error (as always).

I found a Crystals and Red IP's not that impressive in the Feather, Kai's, Super Thin, Bleues....anything that you would normally class as a bit sharp when used in an EJ or Merkur will work well.

Audiolab said:
. . . all signs of unruly behavior like nicks and burns that you may associate with a first use Feather blade, are not present when used with this DE.

Absolutley 100% spot on.

If I didn't know otherwise - I would have assumed the blades were designed for the razor (rather than the other way round).

I have now used the Feather Razor with three different blades, including the Feather blade.

That it is comfortable to use, there is no doubt. You get the feeling, even with a Feather blade, that it is gliding across the surface of your skin so smoothly that you are left wondering if it has removed anything at all. And it has. But only the Feather blade produced the really close shave I am used to getting with my other razors in regular use - a Jagger Chatsworth and Merkur 38C. But the Feather blade leaves my skin feeling sore for several hours. It seems to me that I either put up with having a less close shave than I like or have a close shave and put up with some discomfort after my shave. Having developed my technique with my other razors to the point where I get an incredibly close shave with no irritation it really is a no brainer. The Feather razor is really not for me. I think it will be better appreciated by someone who already enjoys the use of Feather blades so it will soon appear at a very reasonable price in the B/S/T section.

Fido said:
I have now used the Feather Razor with three different blades, including the Feather blade.

That it is comfortable to use, there is no doubt. You get the feeling, even with a Feather blade, that it is gliding across the surface of your skin so smoothly that you are left wondering if it has removed anything at all. And it has. But only the Feather blade produced the really close shave I am used to getting with my other razors in regular use - a Jagger Chatsworth and Merkur 38C. But the Feather blade leaves my skin feeling sore for several hours. It seems to me that I either put up with having a less close shave than I like or have a close shave and put up with some discomfort after my shave. Having developed my technique with my other razors to the point where I get an incredibly close shave with no irritation it really is a no brainer. The Feather razor is really not for me. I think it will be better appreciated by someone who already enjoys the use of Feather blades so it will soon appear at a very reasonable price in the B/S/T section.
This is what I was suspicious about, as I get the same sore feeling after shaving with Feathers, hence why I didn't buy the AS. Thank you for sharing, Fido.

In my experience, the Feather razor works really well with all kinds of blades. The trick is to increase the angle of attack slightly (to about 40 degrees from a normal 30 degrees) to get a close shave comparable to the Edwin Jagger. My go to blade is the Gillette Super Thin.

CMOT said:
Is anyone able to compare the Feather Stainless to the Merkur 39c?

I'm curious to know if the Feather is as capable of mowing down tough stubble. I like the idea of the quality finish.

feather uses a gillette tech set up(3piece), 39c is a slant bar with a terrifying blade exposure,they're two different animals mate :twisted:

Been using the Feather with Feather blades for a week now and I'm consistently getting the closest smoothest chaves of my DE career. To answer my own question earlier in the thread it shaves far better (for me) than the 39C.

One of the things I find interesting about the Feather is just the incredible finish the thing has, and the fine detail in the castings (or forgings) that make up the razor head. From the fineness of the castings, you'd think they were made from some zinc or brass alloy, but you can tell they're steel by testing with a strong magnet. I can only imagine Feather uses some very advanced casting process, or some form of sintering using powdered steel and very high temperature and pressure. For sure, the parts also seem to be hard-chromed afterwards to give that bright "pearskin" finish.

You can almost get lost in appreciating the fine detailing and engineering of this razor without even having a shave with it! :mrgreen:

ugh

expensive this shaving lark isnt it ;)

get it sub 100 quids and im in

damn <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Feather-All-Stainless-Safety-Razor-/190500951286?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item2c5abdd4f6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Feather-All-Stain ... 2c5abdd4f6</a><!-- m -->

jimbofett said:
ugh

expensive this shaving lark isnt it ;)

get it sub 100 quids and im in

damn <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Feather-All-Stainless-Safety-Razor-/190500951286?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item2c5abdd4f6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Feather-All-Stain ... 2c5abdd4f6</a><!-- m -->

Agreed, but not as expensive as collecting wristwatches... :mrgreen:

I got my Feather All Stainless from Hairizon in Singapore - free shipping and arrived with in 10 days. Managed not to get clobbered by taxes. Cost was $245 SG-Dollars = £118 of our British Pounds.

Back
Top Bottom