Favourite pre shave routine and products

Rinse, hot water.

No wonder the country is on the bones of its arse.

Most men appear to be swilling £100 down the sink every month.

Shower or bath,before drying apply proraso pre shave, dry then shave. Shaving whilst in the shower is good,but my mirror is naff. I've got an espresso machine and can steam a towel with it to use if I've not showered.

Greetings

I have tried just about all the readily available preps. but have given up on them as I have found the result is just the same as my usual shower with Sanex shower gel.

I have always believed (and of course I may be wrong) that pre shave oils are only likely to work if you apply canned shave foam on top of them thus leaving the oil underneath, if like me you face lather, the shaving soap/cream emulsifies and dissolves the oil.
I guess that if you paint lather on very delicately with a brush you will reap a partial benefit from the oil.

Regards
Dick.

The problem with all these opinions is that they are based on our experiences of our own faces I.e. A sample of one which is not much bloody good in terms of empirical evidence.

The best advice we can give is to say that everyone is different - so try it and if it doesn't work for you then write it off to experience but don't try and influence other people.

... and I would heartily encourage anyone thinking about spunking near on £20 on a tiny vial of a popular manufacturer's PSO to give straight up olive oil a go. It's there for a little extra slip and does no harm to your skin. It won't clog, but does work with your skin. You want lemon? Squeeze a little lemon onto a few drops of OO and slap it on. Done. Soap, shave, love it!

I use Proraso Sensitive pre shave, but as I am a cold water shaver (it just seems to cut down the irritation for me), it probably is counter to the idea of keeping the hair stiff, just left over from when I warm shaved but just left in the ritual.

Will give it a try without.

UKRob said:
The problem with all these opinions is that they are based on our experiences of our own faces I.e. A sample of one which is not much bloody good in terms of empirical evidence.

The best advice we can give is to say that everyone is different - so try it and if it doesn't work for you then write it off to experience but don't try and influence other people.

Yes curses I only have the one face. The sooner my son starts shaving the better, then I can increase my sample size and conduct PROPER research.

(just being silly, I've been awake since too early o'oclock)

Have recently started to shave in the evening, and it really helps with prep as I've just had a shower beforehand. Soak hot flannel and press against my skin and then a second soak in the basin. Edwin Jagger's pre shave lotion and then on with a cream. Shaves smooth after.

pjgh said:
... and I would heartily encourage anyone thinking about spunking near on £20 on a tiny vial of a popular manufacturer's PSO to give straight up olive oil a go. It's there for a little extra slip and does no harm to your skin. It won't clog, but does work with your skin. You want lemon? Squeeze a little lemon onto a few drops of OO and slap it on. Done. Soap, shave, love it!

I agree with this.
And there are plenty of alternatives to Olive oil too. Sweet Almond oil, Grapeseed oil, Peanut oil, Argan oil are all good and (argan oil excepted) cost a fraction of the pre-packaged PSO's. I steal a bit of the wife's lemon or lavender essential oil to add a different dimension to mine.

Back
Top Bottom