Favourite pre shave routine and products

Thanks to everyone for the excellent post shave advice

I see from s.o.t.d that some use pre shave oils and creams, others just a hot towel and others nothing but a good rinse/ shower

Do members find pre shave products an essential part of the shaving experience? What are people's favs?

I never thought I would get as much joy from bloody shaving.....how did this happen.

Jason

I don't think pre-shaves are essential to getting a clean shave, softened beard does that so all the preps you mention help do thhat. Pre-shaves can soften the beard, mine absolutely do so. Out of the shower, on with a pre-shave oil, linger over a cup of coffee and away to the bathroom. I use Proraso green pre-shave - yes, on top of the oil - and my beard is almost as soft as when I stepped out of the shower. There is a lovely skin moisturising component to this, as well as olfactory pleasures.

I have six oils at the moment - four tried and trusted, plus Zirhand one I can't remember. The four are Swagger and Jacks, Murdocks, T&H and buggar! forgotten that, too. All light oils, easy to apply and easily absorbed by the whiskers, or lock the shower water in or how ever they work.

If I abandoned the coffee I wouldn't need the pre-shave routine, but I enjoy both it and the coffee. One needs so little product that the daily cost is hardly a connsideratino - once one has shelled out an arm and a leg for the bottle.

Other tried and trusted is St James and the other is Gentlemens' Tonic.

Those that do will tell you they are essential and those that don't won't and I'm with the latter.

You should be able to degrease and soften the beard with a basic soap/shampoo and water and get enough slip and protection from well prepared lather but where is the pleasure in that?

I am certainly still forming a solid opinion on this, but I am of the opinion that my skin feels less "attacked" after a pre-shave massage with a custom pre-shave oil I made up: olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil and essentials oils of grapefruit, tea tree and jojoba, mainly for scent.

Prior to that, my main pre-shave oil was Nuage Men - it's very menthol.

I don't think either add anything to the actual shave.

I use Proraso pre, menthol version. I've got through two tubs and one tub of the white version (but I prefer the lasting menthol zing of the green). Now I'm halfway through a large tub of menthol. No idea whether it improves the shave as I've never tried without... but we get used to our little routines and it does seem to improve the glide.

I prefer creams to oils and always with a hot flannel. My routine is apply cream to a damp face after showering, apply hot flannel twice - for about 30 seconds, then apply a little more cream. You can notice the difference that the hot flannel makes.

I always add the caveat to these posts that I use a straight almost daily and find that a pre shave/towel makes a difference. Whether they make the same difference with a DE I can't say.

I was using Proraso Pre when I first started DE shaving, but found I got the same results without that extra step. My routine now: cold water splash, thorough lathering and away I go with my razor. I also found that the fewer products I use on top of one another, the less irritation and allergic reactions I'm likely to get.

My skin can be a bit 'iffy' so as with FrainkieG I try and use the least products possible :)

The menthol type preps do smell nice, but I'd rather have the extra 5 minutes in bed in the week, this time of year especially, than spend time doing something that is essentially for pleasure only :)

My Sunday shaves are probably going to involved a few preparation trials, once I find the right blade for my razor and face :)

As a newcomer, I don't have comparative experience, but just find that glycerine used after the shower keeps the beard damp and softened for the 15 mins until I get around to shaving. Also without it, I get that unpleasant tight dry skin feeling. Don't think it offers much in the way of extra glide though.

Nah, man ... olive oil if you have to ...

Now, with that tub of almond butter, you can make yourself a very interesting loaf of bread! No, really!

250ml of almond butter
3-4 eggs
Pinch of sea salt
Splash of Cider Vinegar
Teaspoon of baking powder

Mash together into a slurry, grease a bowl, pour in ... 200C for 30-40 minutes, testing with a knife poked into the middle coming out clean.

If you retrieve the loaf, cut it through the middle and it's still just a little sloppy, just drop it back in the bowl and cook on for another 5-10 minutes.

DSCF8455.JPG

Impress the Mrs ... very nice with proper butter, cheese and chutney. The bread, not the Mrs ... they're usually better with honey or chocolate sauce :D
My Mrs, not your Mrs ... well, not me with your Mrs ... oh, gawd ... you get the picture. No! Not that picture ... the other one ...

... the one with the bread, butter, cheese and chutney, everyone smiling, nobody swinging and you certainly not trying to scrape almond butter off your face with a razor.

Ahhh ... that's the one.

I use a pre shave oil every day, my top 3 are Murdock, T & H Ultimate Comfort & Zirh.

Wash face, apply oil (weekends hot towel) wait a minute or 2 and then apply lather. I do not face lather, just paint it on ;)

Works for me :)

pjgh said:
Nah, man ... olive oil if you have to ...

Now, with that tub of almond butter, you can make yourself a very interesting loaf of bread! No, really!

250ml of almond butter
3-4 eggs
Pinch of sea salt
Splash of Cider Vinegar
Teaspoon of baking powder

Mash together into a slurry, grease a bowl, pour in ... 200C for 30-40 minutes, testing with a knife poked into the middle coming out clean.

If you retrieve the loaf, cut it through the middle and it's still just a little sloppy, just drop it back in the bowl and cook on for another 5-10 minutes.

DSCF8455.JPG

Impress the Mrs ... very nice with proper butter, cheese and chutney. The bread, not the Mrs ... they're usually better with honey or chocolate sauce :D
My Mrs, not your Mrs ... well, not me with your Mrs ... oh, gawd ... you get the picture. No! Not that picture ... the other one ...

... the one with the bread, butter, cheese and chutney, everyone smiling, nobody swinging and you certainly not trying to scrape almond butter off your face with a razor.

Ahhh ... that's the one. Thanks for the advice .I think I will give the bread a miss.

Back
Top Bottom