Favourite Apple

Out of the readily available supermarket apples I choose Cox and Braeburn. There are lots of 'heritage' types I've tried and enjoyed but couldn't name specific ones.

I absolutely love my apples I cannot remember a day when I didn't eat an apple I make no apologies English apples are overated the best apples are New Zealand Jazz second it's a flip the coin Braeburn or Royal Gala, but on saying that English make the finest Cider and Thatchers Katy is the queen of Ciders.

Russet! Love it when at this time of the year supermarkets sell them as budget bags for a quid. I guess because they are not popular

ollie9091 said:
Russet! Love it when at this time of the year supermarkets sell them as budget bags for a quid. I guess because they are not popular

I purchased some nice large sized loose ones today in Morrisons. Two weighed in at 500 grams for 77p. My son saw them and nabbed one so back again for more.

Re: RE: Favourite Apple

Northam Saint said:
ollie9091 said:

I purchased some nice large sized loose ones today in Morrisons today. Two weighed in at 500 grams for 77p. My son saw them and nabbed one so back again for more.
Got some from Chatsworth Farm Shop last weekend. They were the best I have had. Large, juicy and a real nutty skin
Not cheap but worth it (still cheaper than Braeburns at Tesco)

Hiya,

Like most fruit, texture plays a big part in how much I like whatever it is. With apples they need to be very hard and crunchy. Even slightly mealy ones put me off.

Anyway, maybe 20 years ago a new apple came to market in very small batches since I think only one or two orchards had the trees at first. It's called the Honeycrisp.

"Explosive crunchiness" paired with plenty of sweetness, with a good clear apple taste. Nothing quite like these things and they have done real well here in Yankeetown. Prices are down to about $2 per pound now and man, they are tasty! I still have some Honeycrisp cider from the farmers market last week.

When these apples are fresh it's extremely tough to push in with your thumb and leave a mark. Very hard and loud to chew in a good way. Great mouth feel......very juicy variety

Probably the most fun to eat apple I have tried,

Here: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/honeycrisp-price-explained

Back
Top Bottom