Favoured cake with tea ?

joe mcclaine said:
Elephant's Foot.

I believe the usual name for them (and therefore the name most posters will know them by) is Choux Bun.

From Birds by any chance? I like the little Blackcurrent tarts... mmm! Not had one for years though

ollie9091 said:
joe mcclaine said:
Elephant's Foot.

I believe the usual name for them (and therefore the name most posters will know them by) is Choux Bun.

From Birds by any chance? I like the little Blackcurrent tarts... mmm! Not had one for years though

If you are talking about Birds in the Midlands, then their little lemon curd tarts are delicious.

Prius111 said:
Nothing can beat "Betty's" Fat Rascals, either with clotted cream or strawberry conserve.

Charles U.K

Good call on the Fat Rascals Charles.

I nominate a mighty slab of 'proper' fruit cake, none of this light arty-farty stuff. The sort that would have to be chiselled off a tile floor if you dropped it.l

Re: RE: Favoured cake with tea ?

Whitefiver said:
ollie9091 said:
joe mcclaine said:
Elephant's Foot.

If you are talking about Birds in the Midlands, then their little lemon curd tarts are delicious.
Yes, that's the Birds. I don't think they do owt crap

782sirbrian said:
Bara Brith a Welsh tealoaf, Fruit content soaked in cold Tea before baking very moist and delicious.
You should know about them Jamie :icon_wink:

I certainly do Brian, very popular my Wife is more the Bara Brith person than myself she also loves Welsh cakes they smell delicious cooked in the traditional way on the stove with a large thick gauge steel plate the house smells wonderful during cooking.

My wife is a Welshy so bara brith and welsh cakes make a regular appearance in our house! I must say, she is quite the baker. The guys at work love it, she makes something different each week!

Hiya,

Are we talking about sitting around and having small slices or pieces of whatever pastry is being eaten? More like a social thing rather than satisfying a craving? Probably some of both I would guess.So in that situation I would have coffee and never ever tea. No cake like pastry I can think of would be paired favorably with tea....nada. I may be in the minority here though.

When I want to concentrate on that pie or cake or cookie or doughnut or brownie, there's only one thing to drink when I want to eat a bunch of that all at once. There is nothing like very cold milk to go with any sweet baked thing. I still get a rush when gulping down a large amount of liquid perfection. Whew.....cold milk can be gratifying!

Heh, other than that I rarely ever drink the stuff,

Martin

See, you Yanks really do miss out on this one! On a scale of 100, I'd rate afternoon tea with cake at around 99% as a stand alone pleasure - or, on a bucket list, 0.0099% for an Englishman and 9.9% for an American.

Darjeeling good enough not to require milk - any of mine - and a generous wedge of Madeira cake, on the veranda, 16.00 hours on the dot! Bone china, naturally.

Bechet45 said:
See, you Yanks really do miss out on this one! On a scale of 100, I'd rate afternoon tea with cake at around 99% as a stand alone pleasure - or, on a bucket list, 0.0099% for an Englishman and 9.9% for an American.

Darjeeling good enough not to require milk - any of mine - and a generous wedge of Madeira cake, on the veranda, 16.00 hours on the dot! Bone china, naturally.

I like the idea of stopping for a tasty break during the day or whenever. but tea is never on my imagined menu. Even the teas you enjoy so much, Carl.That part about Darjeeling being good enough not to need anything added to make it taste decent.....its hard to believe a tea like that exists.

For whatever the reason, a while back I looked into various places in Chicago offering the whole 'High Tea' experience. Very wide range of what's available and some descriptions do sound fun. I think there was a newspaper article that grabbed my attention, with a bunch of pics. I can't be sure, but most of the people there were all shown doing snuff. Ok, that part is hazy.
Martin

Johnus said:
Martin, don't worry about missing anything. If it was a "drop dead" experience, Starbucks would be doing it!![emoji41]

Yeah John, we Yankers just don't pay much attention to ceremony when it comes to eating our versions of sweet decadence such as brownies and apple pie and the like.

Those Limeys (and other foreigners) do like to poof around, don't you agree?

What is cake? Well, it has an active ingredient which is a dangerous psychoactive compound known as "dimesmeric andersonphospate". It stimulates the part of the brain called "Shatner's bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with time perception. So a second feels like a month. Well, it almost sounds like fun, unless you're the Prague schoolboy who walked out into the street, straight in front of a tram. He thought he'd got a month to cross the street...

Back
Top Bottom