Face feels very tight after shaving

I think I may be missing a step, or perhaps I'm not.

After shaving my face seems to feel extremely tight.

I use good soap, then shave, then use Alum if required, then I dry my face and apply some TOBS Shaving Shop After Shave Gel.

It doesn't seem to make much difference whether I use the Gel or not, I think it's the Alum that makes my face tight. Is there anything I can use to counteract this tightness as it's not too nice.

It probably is a combination of things. TOBS gel isn't the most moisturising product I've found.

I would try another balm and see what it is. If you do decide to change something, only do one bit at a time so you can assess things a little more accurately.

I think you are probably right, The TOBS Gel doesn't seem to have much effect at all. I probably need to look around and find a balm that moisturises a bit better.

More shopping ;)

Generally speaking, I would say you most often have been to rough with the razor, when your face skin feels very tight. But it could also be the alum, I guess ... Do you really need it?

Lose the beard said:
I think I may be missing a step, or perhaps I'm not.

After shaving my face seems to feel extremely tight.

I use good soap, then shave, then use Alum if required, then I dry my face and apply some TOBS Shaving Shop After Shave Gel.

It doesn't seem to make much difference whether I use the Gel or not, I think it's the Alum that makes my face tight. Is there anything I can use to counteract this tightness as it's not too nice.

I had the same experience with alum, so I stopped using alum and now apply Boots freshwood aftershave at £2.50 as mild astringent, nice fragrance too, and it works for me.
Trust this will help
Jim

Lots of things to consider here.

It never occured to me that it could actually be caused by how I was using the razor. Perhaps I do need to be a bit gentler with it so that I am only shaving the beard off, and not the top layer of skin as well.

It did feel worse today after using a much more aggressive razor, so that could actually be the root cause of the problem. It's also after being aggresive I tend to need the Alum which I don't think is helping either.

Perhaps I need to be.

More Gentle when shaving
Avoiding the Alum when I can
Finding a more moisturising Balm

Moisturise.

I get tight skin sometimes too (more so at this time of year as cycling in the cold weather will dry my skin out a bit) but some moisture can help. Doesn't have to be dear either, Vaseline moisturiser is plenty good.

Alum is astringent so yeah, that will contribute. In the summer, when the skin is warm, sometimes that tightening will appeal, but probably not so much about now. I only use alum for the odd nick now.

" then use Alum if required"

This is the line that grabbed my attention. I'm not sure what would indicate that you need to use an alum block or not. You either use one, or you don't.

If irritation is telling you that you need to use alum, then you need to be looking at the cause of the irritation (as someone has already pointed out, possibly a rough shave).

Personally, if I use alum I rinse it off. If I leave it on it makes things worse, not better.

Ian

Alum, by definition an astringent

Astringent:
A substance or preparation, such as alum, that draws together or constricts body tissues and is effective in stopping the flow of blood or other secretions.

Alum will make your skin tight, its the main reason we use it. Either wash it off or don't use it, your face wont be as tight.

Back
Top Bottom