Euro 2012

Not a bad result to be honest i think both teams will be happy with the result thought the ref was a bit sloppy in his decisions at times but apart from that it was a decent match overall...

i watched it whilst working out at the gym.

I was chatting to someone there and reckoned that the last tournament I really enjoyed was Euro 96.

I'll still watch and support, but I don't think hardly any of these play for the shirt and the pride in getting a cap.

Yet another instance of vast wads of cash ruining the beautiful game.

I was extremely disappointed in Hodgson's tactics of defending so deep - he did exactly the same in the two warm up games. I know it worked for Chelsea but to me it is a high risk stratedy because it depends to a great extent on the opposition missing opportunities.

I wonder how much of a honeymoon he will get from the press and TV - certainly they lambasted Capello for playing the same formation of 4,4, 2 or maybe 1 + 1. Can't help thinking that Milner looks out of place on the right of midfield - I would have preferred to see him on the left with Walcott on the right to add a bit of pace. Chamberlain looks out of his depth at the moment despite a couple of promising runs. I just hope the formation is altered once Rooney is available.

Fido said:
Well at least England won for a change. We'll probably scrape through, play brilliantly against Spain and lose on penalties.

Well Fido. I don't know if that was a throwaway comment or based on how the tournament could work out. At the moment, if the positions in the groups stay as they are, then Spain would play England in the quarter final - however there are two more games to go before that so your prediction could relate to the semi final or final - right now, I don't think I'm capable of working out the permutations.

Glad they got the win but a bit nerve wracking though the winner was lovely to see! They aren't the most talented players (that is Spain's crown currently) but nice to see fresh faces and not seeing Barry on the pitch is a relief. Milner is a bit too heavy for a winger at this level - light and fast but the substitution was either very lucky or genius, especially since Walcott doesn't usually play well for England.

It's all about seeing how this team of Hodgon's plays in a tournament and don't see anyone but Spain winning though the cliche 'it's a funny old game' does come to mind!

I know it's impossible to predict outcomes, but Spain are likely to top their group. And surely France will beat the Swedes by at least one goal. That would require us to beat Ukraine by at least two clear goals to top our group. So the most likely scenario is Spain v England in the next round.

Spain would start firm favourites. But I remember when we faced a similar situation in a World Cup semi final starting as underdogs. We played our socks off and lost on penalties. It still hurts.

For the first time ever for me, I'll want the Germans to beat Spain if they come up against each other. I much prefer their current style of play.

I think it's safe to say that if we get through (by no means certain) then a vast thrapping would be handed out by Spain.

I thought England played the first half well but the second was abysmal!

The defenders looked like rabbits in headlights, 'I'm no racist' Terry was like a three legged donkey running through treacle, and there's still far too much 'alehouse ball' (huge punt upfield).

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but against Spain's midfield and attack I fear it could be an embarrassment.

England V Sweden. A good result, but, in my opinion, more by luck than skill.

The first goal was nice, but the others stuck me as being happy accidents. The teams ability to pass and keep the ball is awful, especially when you've watched the likes of Spain.

Ian

Tall_Paul said:
I think it's safe to say that if we get through (by no means certain) then a vast thrapping would be handed out by Spain.

I thought England played the first half well but the second was abysmal!

The defenders looked like rabbits in headlights, 'I'm no racist' Terry was like a three legged donkey running through treacle, and there's still far too much 'alehouse ball' (huge punt upfield).

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but against Spain's midfield and attack I fear it could be an embarrassment.

You never know:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/12/england-spain-international-friendly

Back
Top Bottom