Erasmic creams and soaps

Hey everyone,

My first post was in the 'Welcome' section of this board. I mention a little about recently starting out using a double edge razor and soap and brush etc. Thankyou everyone for such a warm welcome there.

I writing here about the soaps and creams I'm trying out.

Having watched youtuber mantic59's videos it's given me tips on how to shave. For example warming the bowl or mug and sitting it in the sink of warm water etc. I'm more of a visual learner and learn-by-doing sort of person. However, I do still read the posts people put on here. It's great to read other peoples shaving techniques and how they get on with different soaps and creams.

I'm currently using Erasmic soaps and creams when shaving. I got both kinds as I'm starting out traditional shaving with a double edge razor and brush etc, and I'd like to work out the pros and cons of creams and soaps.

I really like the Erasmic cream that comes in a metal toothpaste tube. I think it also comes in a plastic 'hair gel' type tube. But for some reason I'm not keen on the plastic tube. I get it for £1 in my local Savers.
It's really easy to use and goes on my face well. I love the smell of it. It's hard for me to describe the smell. I'm not very good with words. The smell reminds me of my grandad. In a good way. The smell brings back memories for me.

I remember watching him shave when I was a little boy. The way he smelled. His sense of humour. I remember he put cream on my face and I stood next to him pretending to shave. He's long since 'gone upstairs', along with my nana. I miss him a lot.

Anyways, I really like the Erasmic cream. It's easy to use and has a nice texture and smell.

I'm not too sure how to use the Erasmic soap that comes in a black coloured plastic pot. The texture of it when I dip my finger in it feels like soft wax a bit like hair wax. How do I use that?

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm using a Wilkinson Classic double edge razor. I bought it as I wanted something cheap to start out with as I didn't want to spend a lot just in case double edge razor shaving wasn't for me.

Thanks for your help,

Dylan

You might find this of some interest. :)
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6680</a><!-- l -->

hunnymonster said:
dylan-shave said:
I'm not too sure how to use the Erasmic soap that comes in a black coloured plastic pot. The texture of it when I dip my finger in it feels like soft wax a bit like hair wax. How do I use that?

Swirl your damp brush on the top of it to pick up some soap - you'll see a sort of "proto lather" form in and around the brush...

Thanks. I'll try that.

:)

SirPrize said:
You might find this of some interest. :)
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6680</a><!-- l -->

dylan-shave said:
I really like the Erasmic cream that comes in a metal toothpaste tube.

You're not the only one there Dylan,I really enjoy using mine,very old skool powdery scent to it,I struggle to think of anything else I really like for a quid :cool:

James_uk said:
dylan-shave said:

You're not the only one there Dylan,I really enjoy using mine,very old skool powdery scent to it,I struggle to think of anything else I really like for a quid :cool:

It's very nostalgic for me because of my grandad.

Where do you get yours from, James? I hope my local Savers stocks it forever! I don't know anywhere else that stocks it.

dylan-shave said:
James_uk said:
dylan-shave said:

Where do you get yours from, James? I hope my local Savers stocks it forever! I don't know anywhere else that stocks it.

Dylan, so far savers is your cheapest option,just bare in mind that erasmic is doing a new range of creams in plastic tubes which are nowhere near as good in my opinion,I got a feeling that they might discontinue the old ones. If you like it that much then I would suggest you buy a few just in case.

dylan-shave said:
James_uk said:
dylan-shave said:

I bought an Erasmic Shave Stick and thought the scent was awfull. Does the cream smell the same?

Parwin said:
I bought an Erasmic Shave Stick and thought the scent was awfull. Does the cream smell the same?

Yes, all the Erasmic scents are the same, even the new stuff in the plastic tubes. Sort of fougere/citrus. :x

However the old cream in the metal tube is superb and the only Erasmic product I like despite the scent. Lathers great. :cool:

You're not the only one there Dylan,I really enjoy using mine,very old skool powdery scent to it,I struggle to think of anything else I really like for a quid :cool:[/quote]

Where do you get yours from, James? I hope my local Savers stocks it forever! I don't know anywhere else that stocks it.[/quote]

Dylan, so far savers is your cheapest option,just bare in mind that erasmic is doing a new range of creams in plastic tubes which are nowhere near as good in my opinion,I got a feeling that they might discontinue the old ones. If you like it that much then I would suggest you buy a few just in case.[/quote]

Ah yes, I noticed some of the plastic hair gel type tubes next to the metal toothpaste type ones. I better stock up on the old style just in case. Thankyou James.

Ps. James has always been my favourite engine in the Thomas the tank engine books and telly programme hehe. :p

Hi all, on passing a branch of Savers when I was out on a day trip, I called in and bought 2 Erasmic shaving sticks & a tube of the cream. They also had the black soap in the bowl which I didn't buy.

Anyway, I tried the stick soap yesterday morning and I'm sorry to say I was very disappointed with it, I was shaving my head, and the lather was dissolving before my very eyes. I couldn't get the lather to say on my head no matter how much I tried. This was the tallow based soap, which I was led to believe was the best formulation. They both ended up in the bin. Raging.

So now I'm going to try the cream version, Hopefully this will be much better. I'll let you know that I think afterwards.

By the way you can also buy the Erasmic shaving brush, stick, pot, & cream in Semi-Chem.

Their bog standard hard soap in the black plastic tub is actually one of my favorites; love the fragrance, always get a decent lather & gives a smooth shave too.

I dunno - I like Erasmic, I like Derby Extra blades... Is I a freak?

Hi again, Just tried out the Erasmic shaving cream for the first time and I'm happy to say it was a great success! I was able to work up a very thick creamy lather without any problems at all, and it performed very well, gave a close clean shave on my head.

Will use it again on Friday when I shave my face with my Edwin Jagger.

Also next time I'm passing Semi-Chem I'll call in and try out the glycerine based bowl soap to see if it's any good. Hopefully much better then their shaving sticks where.

Leslie145 said:
Their bog standard hard soap in the black plastic tub is actually one of my favorites; love the fragrance, always get a decent lather & gives a smooth shave too.

I dunno - I like Erasmic, I like Derby Extra blades... Is I a freak?

Derby is my blade of choice, I have very sensitive skin and my preference would be a mild blade, and Derby's work fine for me.

I just ordered 100 new blades the other day & a bowl of Derby soap, so I can't wait to see what that's going to be like.

But yeah, I will be using the Erasmic cream W/ badger brush EJ89 & Derby blade on Friday.

Whitecrusher010 said:
I just ordered 100 new blades the other day & a bowl of Derby soap, so I can't wait to see what that's going to be like.

Sounds like the same deal I went for; great value if you like the blades & the soap's not bad, too (strange fragrance, but quite pleasant).

Back
Top Bottom