Edwin Jagger DE.87 Review

Perhaps I shouldn't offer my opinion of this razor after just one outing. But I was that impressed by it.

[attachment=0]

A bit of blurb cribbed from the interweb:

This Edwin Jagger Classic Razor, with its elegant faux-ivory handle, echoes the classic style of the razors from the early 1900s. The design combines high-quality chrome-plating with an extremely fine faux-ivory finish. It accepts all standard double-edge blades (Merkur, Derby, Feather, etc). It has a classic straight guard providing a perfect shave with no irritation.

Weight: 2.2 oz. (63 g)
Length: 3 1/4" (8.25 cm)
Made in England

I bought mine from the English Shaving Company. First time I've used this company, and the service was good. The razor comes very elegantly presented in a rigid navy blue cardboard box, in stark contrast to the flimsy efforts issued by Merkur. On removing the razor from its box, I was met with a beautiful piece of gleaming craftsmanship - flawless plating and finishing (incidentally, the sleek faux-ivory handle is a little bit lighter in colour than it appears in the photo).

I have largish hands, yet the modest DE.87 seemed to fit perfectly. Its centre of gravity:geek: , when balanced on my index finger, seems to lie somewhere around the bottom of the head's collar (about two thirds up from the bottom of the handle). So I guess you could call it 'head-heavy'?; nevertheless it felt well balanced.

On to the meat. I lathered up my rather small round of Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn soap (smells like peaches), which I'd ordered at the same as the razor, along with three samples of EJ creams. Good lather from a good soap. Then the 87 went to work. I've been interested in the new EJ/Muehle head for quite a while, and I can understand people's enthusiasm for it: it cuts smoothly and there's a certain glide to it. In terms of aggressiveness (never quite sure how people interpret that term), it's milder than my HD - I didn't feel I was about to nick myself at any time. And I didn't. No grip problems with the smooth handle either.

But the real highlight of my shave with the 87 - and this is what left me staring in awe at this wolf in sheep's clothing - was the relative ease with which it shaved ATG on my neck area. Wow. I've never achieved BBS on my neck before, at least not on the bottom third. And with no blood spots or razor burn. :shock: Now, I'm not sure if this was some sort of cosmic conspiracy or what, but it happened. If any stubble has grown back by tonight - the way my face and neck feel now, I doubt it - I'm going to see if it happens again.

Attachments

• EJ006[1].jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 956
Re: Edwin Jagger DE.87

I tried this after my Muhle R41 trial.

I posted elsewhere that it has just edged first place among my razors. I will still use my Merkur 38C and I will still have my Gillette Single Ring as a reminder of generations past. But from now on most of my DE shaves will be with this little beauty. My search is over.

Great review Nape.

I was in John Lewis yesterday. Sniffed a pot of Kent Shaving cream - perfect. But put it down and walked away. Passed L'Occitane without a backward glance. Didn't even look in the Crabtree and Evelyn window as I walked past.

:oops:

Fido said:
I was in John Lewis yesterday. Sniffed a pot of Kent Shaving cream - perfect. But put it down and walked away. Passed L'Occitane without a backward glance. Didn't even look in the Crabtree and Evelyn window as I walked past.

Is there a Doctor in the house??

Ian

I know the R89 is but was wondering if they used the same head for the E.J range too.Looks like it is from what Blythe is saying.

Fido said:

The Kent SC will still be there next week, as will L'Occitane & C&E (well maybe - depends how their Chapter 11 goes) to tempt you again and test your faith. We all know you're just waiting for them to have sales so you can buy more for your money :D

hunnymonster said:
Fido said:

The Kent SC will still be there next week, as will L'Occitane & C&E (well maybe - depends how their Chapter 11 goes) to tempt you again and test your faith. We all know you're just waiting for them to have sales so you can buy more for your money :D

I did pop in to C&E a week or two back. They gave me three cream samples I have yet to try. A rotation of 15 is proving a big disincentive for more purchases now. My next big test will be Texas next year. Nancy Boy and Mama Bear may become a feasible propositions if delivered to my daughter. No groans at the back there.

Boab said:
is this head the closed comb version of the R41?

I'm not 100% sure following a chat with Dan (or is it Tom?) at the Shack the other day. I sent him back the Muhle R41 open comb because the balde alignment was wonky. Anyway, during the conversation he said he'd checked some other Merkur heads to compare, and they were a bit out as well. When I asked him if he meant 'Muehle' instead of Merkur, he told me Merkur make the heads for the R41 :?: . I find that a bit strange, but it's plausible: the new EJ/Muehle head doesn't have the two nubs that poke out from underneath the head, unlike the R41 I had - the screws are set flush in the Ej/M. Not sure if the Muehle R89 has those two nubs. It's all a bit confusing: Muehles with Merkur heads, Edwin Jaggers with Muehle heads... :roll:

Edit: In this link from Connaught, the R89 seems to have the EJ/Muehle head, but the R41oc doesn't.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.connaughtshaving.com/muhlerazor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.connaughtshaving.com/muhlerazor.html</a><!-- m -->

I also have an EJ with the Muhle head but find it very aggressive

When ever I use it alway manage to cut myself.

Recently purchased a Merker 25 long handle and find this gives a good smooth shave probably the best

I have a future and progress but this light Merker is the best teamed with Pengaligon shaving cream. and a merker blade.

Valuer

Back
Top Bottom