Diamond Jubilee

Well i'm one of those people who really couldn't care either way, never seem to give the royals a second thought, but not everyone in the UK will be celebrating the Queens jubilee, take my town for instance, one of the largest inland town in south Wales population of 60.000. and this is a fact not one application for a street party to the local council, not to say there wont be people having a few drinks and a get together, but I do think the UK press seem to make certain parts of the UK think that we are big royalist in fact i'm pretty confident if people realised that the royals are only puppets and have zero power, so after all what would be so different if we had a President?

Jamie.

Having a President here in the US hasn't been any picnic of late. Thinking that we may all be turning in National Holidays for BANK Holidays real soon!!

Canuck said:
I was going to describe him as a self opinionated half wit until I recalled that most of his beliefs have been influenced by other idiots.

Strong opinion there. Have you met him?
I've met him and worked for him many times over the last 8 years or so, he's not the man you describe... you need to be careful letting the media influence who you think someone is.

He's very much his own man, not remotely influenced by idiots. He in fact recognises idiots very well.

No I haven't met him and don't feel I have to in order to have an opinion of him. Do you only have opinions of people you have met? Personally, I don't think mutch of Judas Iscariot, Pilas Pontius, Ivan the Terrible, Adolph Hitler, Jack the Ripper, Arthur Scargill, Barbara Castle, Ted Heath or Tony Blair's wife, and I've not met any of them either.

Well just watched the Jubilee Party,

did i hear right, did "Will.i.am" sing happy birthday and half way through shout "Happy Birthday Your Majesty" ! :s:s

wtf ?? :mad::mad:

Does he know what the Jubilee is celebrating ?

f*****g imbecile !!!:mad::mad:

Sunburyboy93 said:

did i hear right, did "Will.i.am" sing happy birthday and half way through shout "Happy Birthday Your Majesty" ! :s:s

Grace Jones did the same thing earlier and I asked the same question. My wife told me that today is the Queen's official birthday and the Jubilee coincides with it.

Still not sure I think it's appropriate, but that's the explanation. I presume they sanctioned the song list and allowed Stevie Wonder to sing Happy Birthday so those in charge were ok with it.

Sunburyboy93 said:

Little confused now... Thought that there was a 'Real Birthdate' and Official Birthdate'. ( a Thoroughbred thing.. No offense made) . And the official is whenever they want it. So both Her Coronation and Birth are being Celebrated now?

Great night. But oh dear, I don't care much seeing my sporting heros in action when they are well past their best. Same with singers. Tom Jones can still deliver. But some of the others should call it a day.

Much relief for many tonight!

Johnus said:
Little confused now... Thought that there was a 'Real Birthdate' and Official Birthdate'. ( a Thoroughbred thing.. No offense made) . And the official is whenever they want it. So both Her Coronation and Birth are being Celebrated now?

The Queen's official Birthday is usually at the end of May and coincides with the Bank Holiday - which was moved back this year so that everything landed together.

Being a loyal servant, I get an extra day off for it every year which I can take when I want but I usually just make it a long bank holiday.

So this year I got three days off.

Thanks Ma'am.

We in the US have done the same for our Presidents. They were now all born the Third Monday in February. That way it's always long weekend . It's become a situation here where only Christ wasn't born on a Monday or Friday!!

I Watched bits of it.

By nature I am not a monarchy supporter. However I do respect and admire the job the Queen has done and role she has played in giving stability to us and other countries through the good times and the bad.

I felt the actual celebrations were mixed, some good bits some not so good but perhaps you had to be there to be in a position to pass judgement. I particularly enjoyed the lighting on the palace. Cliff, Elton and McCartney were a bit wooden, Grace Jones was just weird but the crowd enjoyed it and that's what counts.

Regardless, of anyones personal opinion on the monarchy I believe it is a very well deserved celebration and recognition of 60 years of tireless service to the country.

Certainly I trust the queen more then the politicians.

One of the better pics:

flypast-overhead_2239844i.jpg

Will it be over soon? PLEASE let it be over already! I hadn't realised how strongly Republican I am until I found myself screaming in anguish because I couldn't get away from the Jubilee. I can't believe all those people believing the Monarchy is respsonsible for the feeling of pleasure at being Britiish - that makes as much sense as me holding the Jubilee responsible for this awful weather.

The nearest I got to participating in the Jubilee was feeling my heart go out to the families I saw trudging home from a 'celebration' - sodden, drenched, bedraggled, dejected and clearly more concerned with finding warmth than celebrating anything any more. All Jubilee'd out.

Is it over yet? Is it?

Bechet45 said:
Will it be over soon? PLEASE let it be over already! I hadn't realised how strongly Republican I am until I found myself screaming in anguish because I couldn't get away from the Jubilee. I can't believe all those people believing the Monarchy is respsonsible for the feeling of pleasure at being Britiish - that makes as much sense as me holding the Jubilee responsible for this awful weather.

The nearest I got to participating in the Jubilee was feeling my heart go out to the families I saw trudging home from a 'celebration' - sodden, drenched, bedraggled, dejected and clearly more concerned with finding warmth than celebrating anything any more. All Jubilee'd out.

Is it over yet? Is it?

Yes, and, if I'm honest, I suspect all but the most ardent Royalists must have become pretty fed-up of all the hype.

Never mind, just another couple of weeks reprising the spontaneous uprising of joy and gratitude expressed unanimously by the Great British public for our Monarchy & we can move on to the spontaneous uprising of joy and gratitude to celebrate the triumph which will be the Olympic games. I can almost see the endless TV coverage and repeats of sponsors' vehicles, ministerial cars and general VIP coaches streaking along the priority, coned off lanes as massed ranks of happy commuters wave and shout their encouragement to the privileged few with their complimentary tickets.

Oh frabjous day, calloo callay.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

JohnnyO said:
Never mind, just another couple of weeks reprising the spontaneous uprising of joy and gratitude expressed unanimously by the Great British public for our Monarchy & we can move on to the spontaneous uprising of joy and gratitude to celebrate the triumph which will be the Olympic games. I can almost see the endless TV coverage and repeats of sponsors' vehicles, ministerial cars and general VIP coaches streaking along the priority, coned off lanes as massed ranks of happy commuters wave and shout their encouragement to the privileged few with their complimentary tickets.

Oh frabjous day, calloo callay.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

Hear! Hear! Well said that man! Expressed wonderfully! The joy of joys that is to descend upon us will have us in raptures.

I wonder when the Pot Hole Money will filter down to my City Council?

Back
Top Bottom