Diamond Jubilee

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Peeps not happy with concept of a future King Charles & Queen Camilla; Yet don't seem to realise that the whole theory of an unelected monarchy of privilege is that it is, well, unelected and not subject to any test of abilities or popularity, in short undemocratic.

Brain hurts, need lie down.

JohnnyO. \:huh:

joe mcclaine said:
There won't be a King Charles.

He'll be King George VII, or at least that's what he told me.

I'd have great difficulty in trusting the accuracy of anyone who chats to trees, but that's just a personal prejudice breaking through.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Could we have asked for a better representative, servant to the our country?

When she re-dedicated herself to the nation the shivers ran down my spine and I had a lump in my throat. Majesty in name, Majesty in stature

I am, and will always be her loyal subject.

rangers62 said:

When she re-dedicated herself to the nation the shivers ran down my spine and I had a lump in my throat. Majesty in name, Majesty in stature

And as a added bonus it's unlikely the HMRC will shut the royalty down

Thank goodness she re-dedicated herself to the nation, there's me thinking she was going to relinquish the thrown and open a chippy on The Mall.

pedro083 said:
rangers62 said:

And as a added bonus it's unlikely the HMRC will shut the royalty down

Hook, line and sinker Pedro.

Toffee :icon_wink:

In my more rational moments I scratch my head in disbelief that we still have our monarchy. But on occasions like this weekend I confess that I just sit back and enjoy what's on offer.

So the flags are up and the bunting's out. I'll go to the village celebration - a cake bake off plus lots of goodies. Then I'll spend hours following the boats down the Thames, watch the concert, then Tuesdays ceremonies. And when the Queen and her family come out at Buck House and wave to the crowds - and they will be there, in their thousands - I'll have tears in my eyes. And I'll remember the the silence and the sadness in the classroom when as nine year olds we were told that the King was dead.

Like it or not, the monarchy is part of our lives, a unique British institution which makes many of us feel a bit different and a little pride in this too often colourless world.

Time for a shave.

If you (& many others) find this weekend giving you innocent joy in a world where that is all too often a rare commodity you've certainly got my best wishes Fido. Whilst my feelings on the monarchy differ greatly from yours I wouldn't rain on your parade.

Ironically enough, whilst I'm not in sympathy with the cause, my memories of living and working in Englandland in the sixties do make me mildly envious of and nostalgic for all the village events & fun you mention.

So go on yourself my friend & I truly trust that you and yours have the best weekend imaginable.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:/

GOLDCREST said:
Someone like Gordon Brown or the head of the EU perhaps?

RB73 said:
Yeah, can just see that, President f*$king Blair.

Nooooooooo ....... that would be a terribly bad move :icon_evil: I'd rather have the the monarchy by comparison to those two any day :exclamation:

Interesting, in the good ol days, quiet a few heads were chopped off for treason, for even saying something a bit off torwards the king/queen,and that's if you are lucky,let me think.... Being burned alive, hung drawn and quartered that's a nice one to look at,was all a public show at the time.

Thank goodness we don't live with that no more, chop, chop, gents:icon_eek:

Back
Top Bottom