Derby extra

Your almost right.
1. 1904 Gillette(WW1 or before) or a DE Feather Razor
2. Derby blade. One per shave.
3. Alcohol based aftershave
4. Lotion of your choice

We're talking dry shaving. No Soap, No Water(pre or after the shave.)

Try it... Best if it's done everyday.

Almost forgot... You can Palm Strop the blade before you use it... but not necessary.

Last edited:
Every time I've used a Derby blade I've been cursed with a couple of days of irritation particularly in areas of thick beard growth.

I don't feel like they're sharp enough for me, they don't feel comfortable or smooth and they tug like a monster

Through the years I've been DE shaving I toss a Derby blade into a razor now & again and to be frank like joe mcclaine I have never received a bad shave from one and I could probably shave with one every day and be perfectly satisfied for that matter. I usually toss them after one shave as I have several and rarely use one anymore, except on a whim. I think most people who slam them are usually new wet shavers as it's one of the most common blades and recommended by many.

I also think that many newcomers might change their opinion if they revisit one after a year or so of wet shaving when they have their technique more honed (pun intended). Just my opinion and worth what you were charged. ;)

Derby's are ok, i use the half version in my shavette from time to time, they last about 4 shaves for me which is about average. they, or rather, I, produce a nice smooth shave.
I think there is an element of blade snobbery involved, people like to say they use the most obscure and exotic brands, and Derby's are pretty ubiquitous.

I agree with Carl. They come with every razor - a newbie's first blade and first shave. A few bad initial shaves coupled with reading shaving forums, must be the Derby blades.

Dealer recommended Derby blades as on sale for my 2nd razor (100 for $9.00). After trying again (since I sill had 97 blades), I found the Derby's were adequate to decent in that razor and currently used 3 days a week. I also have a Seygus razor that does not seem Derby friendly (could also be me).

derbys are what i used first. my first razor was a merkur CC travel razor and i used to get 4 shaves no problem. because i could see the honing number on the blades through the lather gap under the head, i used to use 1 for the first shave, then 2 for the second, take the blade out, flip it and use 3 and then 4. they worked just fine.

Derby blades for me are another benchmark along with the Edwin Jagger 89. Absolutely average. The blade equivalent of a Ford Mondeo.

I think they are rubbish for face shaving. But, as a full time professional idiot, I'd bought 50 of the buggers. However, I've found they are a good option for head shaving. I don't feel the need to go BBS on top, and they are a fairly mild blade that gets the job done. It means I save my preferred blades for my face shaves as well. Not a bad option, on the basis that Derby blades are cheap as chips. And about as sharp.

I think they are rubbish for face shaving. But, as a full time professional idiot, I'd bought 50 of the buggers. However, I've found they are a good option for head shaving. I don't feel the need to go BBS on top, and they are a fairly mild blade that gets the job done. It means I save my preferred blades for my face shaves as well. Not a bad option, on the basis that Derby blades are cheap as chips. And about as sharp.
I think it depends on your beard/hair type - if you have a beard like a knotted ball of barbed wire then Derby's aren't for you.

Hiya,

Some people have always liked the Derby but most people don't care much about em. Ok shave at best, with a quality control issue to watch for. Why waste a day's shave using something just average?

What's surprising is all the positive things new people seem to think exists since they often will actually buy those blades for their arsenal. Must be from hearing the name but not reading the reviews.

Martin

I figure if you're new you are going to cut yourself a bit anyway. May as well jump into a sharper, smoother blade from the get go.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I figure if you're new you are going to cut yourself a bit anyway. May as well jump into a sharper, smoother blade from the get go.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
I've had more irritation from Gillette 7 o clock blacks than derby have ever given me. Sharper doesn't automatically equal better. It's all about tailoring the blade, razor and soap to yourself and also the growth, time, season and even the weather ! YMMV etc.

That's a worry. I've got a sample pack of Gillette Blacks waiting at home for me. Greens were good, Yellows sensational, so was hoping for a blinder from the Blacks. We'll see. It was Astra SP's that seemed to disagree with me. Disappointing, actually, as they are good value. As you point out, it was nothing to do with lack of sharpness with the Astras. Just an angry shave all round.

Sharper doesn't automatically equal better.
very true, i use a half blade shavette as my traveling razor, i get a lovely smooth shave from Shark ss and Derby blades, but switch to Feathers, renowned for their sharpness, and the results are horrific!, in my book smooth tops sharp every time.

Back
Top Bottom