Derby blade revelation.

I may come back to them as and when I get more experienced and opt for an adjustable or this R41 razor. However in my Edwin Jagger the experience with a Derby was horrendous. Good job I had tried a feather and Voshkod before or it would have put me off DE shaving for life!

I shaved with Derby Extra's for about 18 months when I started DE shaving before moving on the Gillette Silver Blue's (which I have found me a massive improvement)

My 17 year old is, very slowly, going through my stock of Derby's as I figured they are a nice forgiving blade for a new beard? He using them in a R89 IIRC? and has had no problems at all with them.

I shaved with Derby Extra's for about 18 months when I started DE shaving before moving on the Gillette Silver Blue's (which I have found me a massive improvement)

My 17 year old is, very slowly, going through my stock of Derby's as I figured they are a nice forgiving blade for a new beard? He using them in a R89 IIRC? and has had no problems at all with them.
Gillette silver blues are a excellent blade,as are most of the russian blades,.. nothing wrong with Derby Extra's..as you stated a very forgiving blade, used in an aggressive razor they are a great match i use them once and bin them,..i actually like using them,they are in IMHO matched up with a non-aggressive razor are wonderful blade to learn your technique, get your confidence, and most of all learning you to enjoy the DE shaving experience..i'm still learning my technique and they have guided me into the world of DE wet shaving...they have a mixture good/bad reputation though,probably through shaving snobbish biased reviewed opinions. Regards.;)

Last edited:
Gillette silver blues are a excellent blade,as are most of the russian blades,.. nothing wrong with Derby Extra's..as you stated a very forgiving blade, used in an aggressive razor they are a great match i use them once and bin them,..i actually like using them,they are in IMHO matched up with a non-aggressive razor are wonderful blade to learn your technique, get your confidence, and most of all learning you to enjoy the DE shaving experience..i'm still learning my technique and they have guided me into the world of DE wet shaving...they have a mixture good/bad reputation though,probably through shaving snobbish biased reviewed opinions. Regards.;)
Well said PF

The big issue, or 2 at least stem back to a few years ago. 1. For a while QC was rubbish. 2. This coincided with them being given out with new Merkurs. As at the time this brand was almost the de facto first DE brand for many people, you had loads of people with limited knowledge and technique after using carts for years suddenly hacking and slashing at their faces like Zorro on Meth. Result - bloody and everyone blaming the blades.

all the blades get a yearly cycle of "good rep on forums" and "bad rep on forums".

On certain forums, the reputation cycle is based on what the site owner has in inventory in their online shave shop..

two blades in the same tuck can give very different shaves to the same person in the same razor. its just part of the fun. Derby gets a lot of love from folks who cant stand say the feather blades, I guess don't change what works for you.

And I always heard such bad things about merkur blades, that them giving out Derby Blades with new razors was how they were trying to help customers get a better razor blade.

Never had too many problems with Derby blades-very occasionally I find a quality control issue (a bad or variable tuck), but I've that with Astra blades, as well. I've got a fairly heavy growth, too, so it's probably my technique's well-suited.
Their soap is good but helluva thirsty-treat it like the Wool Fat and you'll not go wrong.As for the fragrance it reminds me of fizzy sherbert lemons (which I'm partial to).
The creams are not bad, but the scented ones really artificial.

Never had too many problems with Derby blades-very occasionally I find a quality control issue (a bad or variable tuck), but I've that with Astra blades, as well. I've got a fairly heavy growth, too, so it's probably my technique's well-suited.
Their soap is good but helluva thirsty-treat it like the Wool Fat and you'll not go wrong.As for the fragrance it reminds me of fizzy sherbert lemons (which I'm partial to).
The creams are not bad, but the scented ones really artificial.
Sorry...meant to say that most comparisms are being made with Arko.
Soap is as good, but Arko creams are streets ahead-Derby creams can leave your skin feeling pretty dry!
Anyway, back to blades and Derby come out pretty well at the lower end of the price range. Don't touch the Sharks!

Back
Top Bottom