Derby blade revelation.

Weirdly, I've avoided Derby blades, I got some in my first ever mix of blades from Connaught, used one once, and found it really uncomfortable.
I still had nine left so, over a year and a half later thought I'd give them another go.
Just used one in my Aristocrat #15 and it was every bit as good as my beloved Astra SP.
Improved technique coupled with a different razor and, finally, I can start to see what you have all been talking about, for ages.

I don't own a Aristocrat #15 but i assume they are quite an aggressive razor?..if this is the case then i find that non-aggressive blades works excellently in an aggressive razor & vice versa..it'll give you a good reason to use up those Derby extra blades..i use mine in my Muhle R41.

I don't own a Aristocrat #15 but i assume they are quite an aggressive razor?..if this is the case then i find that non-aggressive blades works excellently in an aggressive razor & vice versa..it'll give you a good reason to use up those Derby extra blades..i use mine in my Muhle R41.
I got an R41 head for my R89 and initially found it stupidly uncomfortable. The Aristocrat, that I picked up later is pretty similar, and I like both of them now, so much so that I can't remember the last time I used my 89.
So, in answer to your question, yes it's pretty aggressive.

Ps I'm using Derby soap too, £2.50 I think it cost, and it's one of my current favourites.

Ps I'm using Derby soap too, £2.50 I think it cost, and it's one of my current favourites.
A mate of mine who started DE shaving the same time as me in April 2016, has decided it's not for him he told me his going back to using Cartridge razors:eek:..each to thereown i suppose,.. anyway he is going to give me his Shaving gear which consists of 2 DE razors (Jagen David) & (Sharpy england -EJ DE 89 head type/ stubby short handle ) 3 chinese unbranded shaving brushes.(2 .horse hair) (1. synthetic). various creams?blades and a Derby shaving soap stick, which i will try when i get them, i've got some Derby creams, which are excellent, but i have yet to try the soap.Regards.

Last edited:
People have described the scent a bit like a urinal cake, citrus.
I'm never that bothered about the smell of any of my soaps because it's gone when I rinse.
Bad thing about Derby puck is that it comes in a flimsy plastic container, I've squished mine into an empty Tabac bowl.
I've never got the hang of the sticks, tried grating them to no avail, just end up with grated soap.

People have described the scent a bit like a urinal cake, citrus.
I'm never that bothered about the smell of any of my soaps because it's gone when I rinse.
Bad thing about Derby puck is that it comes in a flimsy plastic container, I've squished mine into an empty Tabac bowl.
I've never got the hang of the sticks, tried grating them to no avail, just end up with grated soap.
I do exactly the same with my Palmolive shave sticks, they are grated down and put into small ceramic manikin bowls or plastic containers..either works excellently.

Love Derbys in my R41. There are better blades but it does a good job, 1 shave and thrown, at £5 for 100 I don't mind a 1 use blade.

I have the Derby cream too, performs well enough for a tube cream but can't smell Menthol, Lavender or Lemon from either of them.

I do exactly the same with my Palmolive shave sticks, they are grated down and put into small ceramic manikin bowls or plastic containers..either works excellently.
Do you grate it fine or coarse, and then what do you do? Press it down, heart it up?
I gave up because it never came together.

Derby's have been my "go to blade". Use them for all my "dry shaves". Nice reasonably proceed blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom