DE Blade Challenge II

isaiah53 said:
BeeP^ said:
Where are you buying the supermax super platinum from? I tried ebay but they don't post to the UK......apparently.

Excellent round up, I have bookmarked it for future reference.

i just ordered some from bestshave in turkey

Have you received yours yet? I'm still waiting :(

Great article, I know blades tend to be referenced by ymmv, however, the blades i like have scored well, so i guess we get on with similar blades. i'll be trying out some of the ones you rated above 80%.

Thanks for sharing your results.

John said:
Outstanding,You made my jaw drop reading that, is it me or did the older blades last longer than the modern ones ?

I think that the late 1960s and early 1970s was the zenith of DE blade manufacturing, primarily because the competition between brands was so fierce. With that being said, I will generally get a shave more, on average, out of a really good vintage blade than current blades. However, the blades I stock in vintage tend to be of the highest caliber versus a wide stock of current production blades so that can tend to skew the results.

Based on blades lasting 6 or more shaves here is the list.

Personna 74 Vintage
Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile Recent
Supermax Super Stainless Sunrise Recent
Personna Super Stainless (Great Britain) Vintage
Rapira Swedish Super Steel Recent
Gillette 7 O'Clock (Yellow) Recent
Polsilver * Recent
Vidyut Super Max Recent
Super Iridium * Recent
Shark Super Stainless Recent

Even if you elminate the Polsilver and the Super Iridium you still have plenty of recent / current manufactured blades that can provide a long life.

Thanks for reviewing my Blade Challenge.

GDCarrington said:
John said:
Outstanding,You made my jaw drop reading that, is it me or did the older blades last longer than the modern ones ?

I think that the late 1960s and early 1970s was the zenith of DE blade manufacturing, primarily because the competition between brands was so fierce. With that being said, I will generally get a shave more, on average, out of a really good vintage blade than current blades. However, the blades I stock in vintage tend to be of the highest caliber versus a wide stock of current production blades so that can tend to skew the results.

Based on blades lasting 6 or more shaves here is the list.

Personna 74 Vintage
Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile Recent
Supermax Super Stainless Sunrise Recent
Personna Super Stainless (Great Britain) Vintage
Rapira Swedish Super Steel Recent
Gillette 7 O'Clock (Yellow) Recent
Polsilver * Recent
Vidyut Super Max Recent
Super Iridium * Recent
Shark Super Stainless Recent

Even if you elminate the Polsilver and the Super Iridium you still have plenty of recent / current manufactured blades that can provide a long life.

Thanks for reviewing my Blade Challenge.
No sir, it was my pleasure to:heart:

Back
Top Bottom