BazC said:
kt66 said:
Razors - I've ended up with a dozen or so DEs, but these two get the most use:

#21 Aristocrat
Ball end Old type

Blades:

Astra SP
Personna med prep

Interesting that you favour the Old Type, how do you find they work with modern blades, do they fit OK?

Yes, no problem at all. I'd read about having to shim them, but there's no need. The blade isn't located as positively as in newer razors, so it requires some attention to make sure it stays square and centred as you screw it together, but that's all. It was my number one until I got the Aristocrat.

For me it's Weber DLC and Merkur 37c slant, despite de shaving for nearly 18months I've only just got round to really experimenting with blades. I am growing a fondness to Gillette super thins, but still have some polisilvers and sharks to try.

I didn't want to buy a sample package so I took the guess that Astra where good blades and yes they are.

So for blades:

1. Astra
2. Shark

I find both brand sharp and smooth, as for my razor, right now I'm buying some vintage ones so I can try and see which one I like, but right now I have been using Edwin Jagger.

My current go-to razors (the ones in my shaving drawer, not in the collection display) are a bought-new Feather plastic/metal that i use for "quick & dirty" shaves because it is so mild and forgiving, and a beautiful old vintage Souplex, made in England, with a hexagonal handle profile, Aggressive, but smooth as silk.

Before acquiring the Souplex (for $2.99 at a second-hand shop) my daily shave was a 1956 Gillette Tech.

BTW, I also acquired an Eclipse Red Ring for $2.99 at the same shop!

Blades:
- Gillette Wilkinson from India
- Astra

Feather TAS-DS
Ikon OSS

Gillette Super thin
Perma Sharp
Shark SS

The Feather provides a smooth, nick free daily shave, I use the Ikon when I've missed a day or two, and the open comb side just mows its away. A little aggressive for daily use.

Progress, Bleue Extra, a NF brush for the last several months. I like to try out different soaps and splashes at the weekends but the shave hardware stays the same.

Regards
Kevin

Shavette, Omega Imitation badger, Fume Lavender on weekdays, TSF Bergamotto Neroli hard soap in the weekend. ARKO A/S cream Sport, Thayers Rose Petal.

Fatboy and schick krona or gillette bleue extra or super thin or feather...

Lately I've been using my Progress. Not had it long and it's the only modern razor i've kept. Unlike the fatboy it seems to being out the best in every blade and I never use it above 2.5 because sweet spot is 1 to 1.5 for me.

Back
Top Bottom